Started Reading "Pastured Poultry Profit$" - Joel Salatin

Quote:
that's helpful. like i said, i haven't read it yet, so i was really looking for someone's personal experience with it. i didn't want to not read it because of negative reviews, so i'm glad you said it wasn't all political ramblings. i'll probably get it from the library, if i can.

someone on another thread said they wouldn't read anything by Joel because they didn't agree with his politics (as we were discussing them) and i strongly recommended that not write him off. if nothing else, Pastured Poultry Profits really is some kind of holy grail for poultry raising.

I am not sure what it is that you want to know here. Are you asking if people think you should read his book?
I almost feel like this thread is more about having an opportunity to discuss the fact that you don't like how he puts his personal views into his books.
The thread you are referring to is the one that you started over on the Sufficient Self forum, it was identical to the one in your post in this thread and you posted it the same day.
I think its too bad that there are people who now will not buy his book and perhaps benefit from the information contained in it because of the negative view you have brought on it.

Its seemed to me that he put his views in his book to explain his stance on alot of things.
He was involved in alot of political situations due to the rules and regulations that affected his business, he explains those situations in his book so I don't see how politics can't be brought into it.
He has been the victim of unfair practices at the hands of the government and I would assume that would leave him jaded as it would anyone and he expresses his discontent in his book.
Even if I do not agree with some of his statements they at least make you think.
One of the perks of writing your own book is you do NOT have to leave "Everyone's personal politics out of it."

I may not agree with all his politics or views but I respect him for not trying to sidestep issues or to try and pretend to be someone he is not so he can sell more books.
I can't remember the last books that I bought that did not have the author's personal views in it.
What about all the political threads that are on these forums? Does opposing views stop you from reading these forums or even from joining in the discussions?
You read the reviews on Amazon and then commented in this thread and started another on it as well, if you do not want to give him your money then I would suggest you just borrow it from the library.

Last edited:
Quote:
i said in my first post about this that "i guess the reason i'm posting this is because i know several people on here are better acquainted with his work than i am and i'm interested to see what they have to say. i don't want to base my opinions on negative Amazon reviews." that's also why i posted on SS. because i know a lot of the people on these sites have more information than myself. i wanted their opinions.

Quote:
as i said previously, i listened to what BYCers and SSers had to say and i AM getting it from the library. it was just a request for information on a book i hadn't read and had no way of flipping through first (i have to get it through interlibrary loan, and it's going to take a while. i was considering buying it before, hence the questions). it really wasn't about slamming Salatin.

I have read the book. It is a great book about raising chickens on the pasture. In the context of the whole book there is very little about politics and his religious beliefs. Yes they are there, but first and foremost it is a book about raising pastured poultry. If that is what you are interested in you will enjoy the book.

Barry

I just got the book from the libary it is so great!
I think it is afully gross about the chicken from the store.
Has anyone read his book "you can farm"?
I loved that one to.

Quote:
Yeah, there's very little about it in the book. To give it some context, I weigh in as a polar opposite to him religiously/politically, yet it's one of the best books I've ever read.

I am in the middle of reading PPP right now. I got almost nothing but farming books for Xmas (including Animal, Vegetable, Miracle) and I couldn't be happier! I read You Can Farm last month and found it incredibly encouraging, and chickens is where I plan to start so I'm finding PPP just as exciting! I saw him speak in Santa Barbara a couple of weeks ago, and let me tell you, as good as his books are, he is SO much better in person! He's just an incredibly funny, entertaining, informative, and engaging public speaker. See him if you get the chance.

Re politics: I too am probably polar opposite to Joel, and I have often wondered if he would even let me stay on him farm and volunteer for a few weeks like he does for so many others who want to learn from him (I'm married... to another woman). But that doesn't mean 99% of the content of his books and talks aren't invaluable information. Even Joel himself advocates learning all you can, even from people you disagree with, because everyone has something to teach you. Just ignore the bad and keep the good. The occasional comment that makes me grit my teeth is definitely worth the wealth of knowledge I gain, and as long as he's not using the money in a political fashion, then yeah, I'm all for compensating him.

Say what you will about the man, he has guts and determination and a heck of a lot of good ol' common sense. Any money spent on any of his books is money well spent!
smile.png

Buster, how'd it go meeting Grady? What a coincidence I read this thread today. I just found his blog from PF, and now his new blog. I found it by googling meat rabbit blog posts.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom