Started to Lay, Then Stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunnychooks, Feb 24, 2013.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I've had chickens for many years and never had this happen. They started to lay around the beginning of February after the days started to lengthen. I was getting one or two a day (32 birds) and for the last several weeks I've gotten nothing! By this time of the year I'm usually swimming in eggs.
    I've search this site trying to get some answers but I've ruled out all of the obvious reasons. I know they're not laying because I had confined them to the chicken yard and coop for a few days (they normally free range) and I still got nothing, plus my roosters have no interest in chasing them.
    The only thing I can think of doesn't really seem as if it should matter. Around the time they stopped laying the feed store sold me a bag of layer crumble instead of the pellets I usually feed them. I would think that it's the same thing, only in crumble form (same brand). I used the 50 lb bag and switched back to the pellets.
    Could this possibly be the reason I'm getting no eggs??? It's the only thing that has changed.
    BTW, they range in age from one to three years. Still way too young to stop laying.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

2. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Here's an update... In the past few days they are laying up a storm!!! [​IMG] Before I posted this I used the search option and read EVERYTHING I could on the forum about hens not laying and eliminated each cause. I guess I'll never know why they started so well and then stopped.

The one thing I did notice was that my roosters (I have 4) all stopped crowing when the hens were not laying. They started again when the eggs began to reappear. I didn't even realize that until I heard one crow again. It's funny how you start to tune crowing out until you don't notice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by