Started to open a seemingly 'dead' egg to see what happened, chick seems to still be alive!

The little buddy didn't make it. I checked on it this morning and there was no movement when I poked it.
I gently removed it from the egg, and it was fully formed and beautiful, just hadn't absorbed the yolk all the way. It didn't seem positioned right for hatching yet, either.
The part that broke through the membrane was it's foot, and the head was facing the other way. If I had left the egg alone for a few more days, it probably would have been fine.
sad.png

Oh well... All five eggs developed, and one hatched, so I must have done something right.
The surviving BLR Wyandotte is doing fantastic, I named him/her Sienna. I'm surprised at how much faster bantam chicks are than standards lol.
Since the other four didn't hatch, I went and got two little Buff Orpington girls to keep Sienna company, and they're getting along very well.

Thanks everybody for the advice!
big_smile.png

Hopefully there's a higher hatch rate the next time I get some eggs.

The little buddy didn't make it. I checked on it this morning and there was no movement when I poked it.
I gently removed it from the egg, and it was fully formed and beautiful, just hadn't absorbed the yolk all the way. It didn't seem positioned right for hatching yet, either.
The part that broke through the membrane was it's foot, and the head was facing the other way. If I had left the egg alone for a few more days, it probably would have been fine.
sad.png

Oh well... All five eggs developed, and one hatched, so I must have done something right.
The surviving BLR Wyandotte is doing fantastic, I named him/her Sienna. I'm surprised at how much faster bantam chicks are than standards lol.
Since the other four didn't hatch, I went and got two little Buff Orpington girls to keep Sienna company, and they're getting along very well.

Thanks everybody for the advice!
big_smile.png

Hopefully there's a higher hatch rate the next time I get some eggs.
It wasnt your fault the lil guy didnt hatch, it was already late to begin with which means it just wasnt strong enough, there was nothing you could do but next time the best thing to do is, if they don't pip or try to zip don't help, its not worth the thoughts going through your mind thinking that you killed it when in fact it just wasnt strong enough, I had to deal with the same thing but luckily not for long I have that chick keeping me up at night, hahaha!

I just now went through my first hatching. The mother hen quit laying on her first clutch. Lost 6 of the 7. One was still in early stages so I bought an incubator for it. Then she kept laying fertile eggs. Them to were placed in the incubator along with 4 more of her eggs. However the 4 never formed blood veins. 3 did. 2 of the after egglings have hatched successfully. The one from 1st batch grew but left no air pocket. After 24 hours we decided to open it. It was in no position to be able to break out itself. The yolk was absorbed and in perfect shape. What happened?

Back
Top Bottom