Started with Chickens now have 3 Goats and Expanding

Streetwires

Hatching
Mar 25, 2015
Now that I have my goat family I think I am addicted now i am trying to convince the misses to let me start looking for piglets and turkeys maybe a cow and sheep. After being here only a month I think I am about to turn this little 6 acre ranch into a full fledged farm. All I have to do now is try to find people who are willing to donate animals to my little project in exchange for free veggies and milk eggs etc... Hopefully I can get back to work full time which will make things a bit easier.

I am a hobby farmer too. Started out with chickens, then pigs, then goats, ducks, rabbits and that is where it stopped. It doesn't take long to get in too deep. The price of feed for all the animals, hay, bedding, feeders, lamps, and medicine all adds up. We got out of pigs due to the number of them that end up in shelters because they get too big ( pot bellies) now we have two but the boar is fixed. We found homes for our excess rabbits and stuck with one breed. We do have more goats, up to 8 of them and we don't even milk them. I did increase my flock size and will continue to add only the breeds i want, no more barnyard mixes for me. I love animals and want to provide the best care possible so we learned quality over quantity. I wish we had 6 acres, you definitely have room for critters and a huge garden. Good luck on your adventures.

Back
Top Bottom