Starter breeds?

Mrs Hutcherson

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
Burnt chimney, Virginia
I am looking for good starter breeds for eggs, good around children. My family puts away some eggs and we have been trying to figure out what are some good compatible breeds for a small starter flock. Another sorta unrelated question, we have cats and I am curious how they will get along with chickens. if anyone had any advice I would love to hear it!

Last edited:
Friendly Egg Machines, eh?
Light Brahmas and Buff Orpingtons are quiet, docile, friendly and lay nice large eggs.
I've had both and enjoyed them.
My Single Comb Rhode Island Whites are the friendliest birds I ever had. Not sure about production level yet, but most of my SCRIWs like to fly up in my chest and ride on my arm while I do the chores. Try something different and try SCRIW.
I know that they friendliness is passed on to ISA Browns when they are breed from RIW and RIRs, and they are atomic egg bombs. But I've never had ISAs.
HTH.

My Easter Eggers are really sweet, and they lay really nicely colored blue and green eggs, which your kids would probably think is really cool.

Orpingtons are known for being really docile, and good layers. They don't really mind being held, which is nice for kids.

"Red Pullets" are readily available at almost any feedstore such as TSC or AgWay during the spring, and are friendly and lay big eggs every day. These can consist of Red Sexlinks, Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, and others. Mine love their snacks and sometimes jump up on my shoulders when I am feeding them. They're not being mean, they're just really excited for their treats, but that kind of behavior might scare really young kids. However, I was able to break them of this habit, so they can be trained not to do this.

Silkies in my opinion are really the nicest chicken out there, but only lay 3-4 days out of the week. They have cute little pink or cream colored eggs. My silkies are by far my favorite kind of bird even though they don't lay well.

Wyandottes are really pretty and mine don't mind being held at all. They lay well, and get along with everyone in the flock, even the small birds like my bantams and my silkies.

Back
Top Bottom