Starter Feed - But Anything Else? Also a Question About Roosters

moderndayhippy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
We always gave our hens raw apple cider vinegar to help keep parasites away. Is it ok to give this to new chicks for the same reasons? Also...I realize that we'll have to give them the feed for baby chicks (starter feed) but is it necessary to get the medicated kind? And is there anything else I should be giving them?

We've always purchased our chickens full grown, and have only had hens, so the whole chick thing is new to us, as is the possibility of having roos.

So if we happen to get 2 or more roos, in a flock of only 10-15, I have heard that it would be wise to sell the roos, as they will fight over then hens. Is this true, and if so, should I only keep 1 roo for protecting the flock?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I would rather ask questions now to plan, rather than make mistakes later. I value the lives all of our pets & want to do right by them.

I do give my chicks medicated chick starter but that is a personal choice. I know lots of people dont. I aslo give mine the first week electrolyte/vitamin water and then once a week after til they are about 8 weeks old. I feel it just gives them a little extra boost. On the rooster question, I have 2 roosters that get along fine but I have raised them together since they were 10 days old. They are about 8 months old and have never fought.

Thank you so much for the help!

When you say electrolyte vitamin water, are you referring to the human kind (like Powerade) or do they make it special for chickens? That probably sounds so stupid of me to ask, but I've never raised chicks, so this will be all new to me. And if it's a special kind for chickens, would Tractor Supply carry it?

Thank you again for all of your help.
smile.png

I have 2 roosters with 7 hens and everyone gets along great!

The roosters have never fought and have been together since they hatched. One rooster is more dominant and the other more docile. It seems they each have their place (and their hens) in the coop. The more dominate rooster seems to spend more time outside watching over the hens in the yard the other spends more time inside watching over the hens that are laying.

It's really quite interesting to watch how they seem to have agreed on roles.

My newly hatched chicks get only chick starter and on occasion, finely chopped hardboiled egg--after all, it's their first actual food when they absorb the yolk into their abdomen just prior to hatching. I put a teaspoon of organic unfiltered ACV in the waterer for them when they hatch to prevent pasty butt, but usually, just fresh water and starter is all they need for weeks. You must be careful about electrolytes because you can overdose them on those.

Thanks for the tip on the ACV! I have some day olds being shipped on the 22nd and they said to check for pasty butt because of the stress of the shipping.

What is the ratio.....how much water to 1 teaspoon ACV....

Quote:
You want to be sure to buy raw cider vinegar in order to get the benefits you're looking for from it. Good luck with your new babies!

Back
Top Bottom