Starter feed

Are they on medicated starter, and are they outside on your ground? Gradually transitioning to either an unmedicated starter, or an all-flock feed will be fine if they've already had a couple of weeks on your ground and in your coop.
I'd recommend a feed with 18% to 20% protein for their lifetime, with oyster shell separately offered for the laying hens.
What you buy will depend on what's available fresh where you shop. Here it's Purina Flock Raiser, my choice, but you may find something else.
Mary

Are they on medicated starter, and are they outside on your ground? Gradually transitioning to either an unmedicated starter, or an all-flock feed will be fine if they've already had a couple of weeks on your ground and in your coop.
I'd recommend a feed with 18% to 20% protein for their lifetime, with oyster shell separately offered for the laying hens.
What you buy will depend on what's available fresh where you shop. Here it's Purina Flock Raiser, my choice, but you may find something else.
Mary

They are on medicated starter feed.
Does it hurt them if they are on the medicated starter feed for a little longer?
They are free range during the day and go in at night
What does the oyster shells do for them? Is it calcium for the hens? I’m not sure of their genders yet?
Thank you so much, I really appreciate all your help

It's fine for them to eat the medicated starter, no problem. If they've been exposed to your environment for a couple of weeks, they have had time do develop some immunity to whatever your coccidia load is, and so they can transition off that feed anytime.
Mary
Thank you so much I really appreciate all your help!
You’ve been great!
Thank you

You can keep them on medicated starter for awhile. Maybe finish the bag you have, and then switch to regular nonmedicated starter. You should probably introduce grit to them too. You won't need oyster shell until they start laying eggs.

My chickens are about 9 months old now, they've never been on medicated starter feed but I just got a bag of it, medicated starter, I'm currently feeding them with it....... shouldn't be a problem right all you worry warts?

Back
Top Bottom