Starter incubator advise?

I bought it right from Brinsea! The coupon code is MOAC2011, and it still works (just checked). I got the code through google-fu
big_smile.png

I also really like the Brinsea Eco.

The turner is not strictly necessary. The octagon shape is easy to just tip the whole unit when you get up, when you get home and when you go to bed. It looks like you are tipping it too far, but it really works. That much turning is just fine. No opening the unit to turn the eggs or the potential of dropping them.

If I needed another incubator, I would get a second Brinsea.

Plus my husband likes that I can really only get 20 eggs and the hygrometer in there at a time, so there are not such big batches of chicks.
wink.png

I can also recommend Brisea's spot check thermometer. I would not be without one.

Ok, so with the sale and coupon, add the Brinsea Eco and turner to the list.

Advantages to this as compared to the Hovabator? I see the capacity is less but I think still adequate for us. Looks like the fan is built in, would I need to get a humidity monitor for this?

The humidity motor is not necessary either, if you are willing to fill the water channels in the bottom of the incubator every day. This is easily done with a piece of aquarium tubing through the vent or by lifting out the egg tray (very easily done).

The hard plastic is easier to clean and disinfect than the styrofoam units. If you end up with strofoam, you might want to line it with a oven roaster bag or something to make clean-up easier after hatching.

The hard plastic is much harder to break than styrofoam.

The thermostat and fan have kept mine spot on once the desired range is found.

The only disadvantage I have noticed is the small size does not leave a lot of room for hatched chicks to get away from still hatching chicks. So when the incubator is full at hatching, it gets pretty crowded in there, lots of egg-football.

I have been tempted to get a second one just to be able to spread them out for hatching. In such a case, I would only need one turner, as no turning is needed during hatching.

There is not quite the visibility of the eggs that other units with larger windows have. So you may not get to se an egg actually hatch if the ones in the middle hatch first and the hatched chicks kick the unhatched ones to the center as they move towards the outside windows to get a look at you trying to get a look at them!

Mine always seem to hatch at night, so I have yet to see one actually hatch anyway!

I had a Little Giant from TSC. I sold it on CL. I will be purchasing a Brinsa Oct Eco20. I have also heard the hovabators are great! I think they involve just a little more set up. Personally, I wouldn't go with a Little Giant because the temp is not as steady as the ones mentioned above (Brinsea, and Hovabator) Plus, you will be up grading after 1 or 2 clutches. Go with a medium line inc. because it will be better in the long run!

On the Brinsea website the Mini Eco is on sale for $64.99 and the above coupon code does indeed work.

I just ordered a Mini Advance for $119.99 -10% = 107.99 + $20 shipping.

Back
Top Bottom