Starter incubator advise?

tikidoc

Chirping
15 Years
Dec 23, 2007
We have had chickens for several years now, but have always bought hatchlings. We are planning to try our hands with hatching eggs this year and need to buy an incubator. I have found two setups that I think will work for us and would like some opinions. Both have more than enough capacity and are similar in price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LITTLE-GIANT-EG...ps=63&clkid=6944047970496271522#ht_3324wt_782

http://cgi.ebay.com/HovaBator-Egg-I...ultDomain_0&hash=item35a6cffffb#ht_3164wt_782

From what I have read, lots of people really like the Hovabator so I am leaning towards that one. So my questions:

Are we better off with the Hovabator?

Do these kits include everything we will need?

Am I missing any others I should look at? I will likely be buying some relatively expensive eggs (Marans, mostly) so I want to buy a good system from the beginning. I don't want to waste eggs. On the other hand, I don't want to spend more than necessary. I did look at the Brinsea Eco, but when you add in the turner, it is quite a bit more expensive than the others (unless someone knows of a cheaper source).

The eBay prices look pretty good. Does anyone know of a cheaper place to get what we need?

Thanks!!!

I personally just bought a Brinsea Eco without the turner for my first incubator. It just sounds so foolproof. Right now it is 99$ plus shipping, and there is a coupon that works for 10% off. The turner is an additional 50$ right now, less than its usual 70$.

I would definitely go with the hova rather than the LG, just make sure it has the turner & a fan in it & you will not be disappointed.

I have both and I use both. I like my Hova better though. It is not nearly as finicky as the LG. But my LG is good but they are hard to fine tune. I agree though, you want a fan and an auto turner to make your hatches better. The fan helps to keep the air a constant temp instead of having hot and cold spots with the still air bators. The turner just makes your life easier. Good luck in making your decision.

I've been researching a lot on BYC and the vast majority of folks on here prefer the hovabator over the LG. My 4H leader recommended the hova too.

I have used a Hovabator in the past. Decades ago, it was the still air and later on the forced air fan. I've hatched from the tiniest (button quail) to the largest that would fit with expansion rings (Emu). The forced air is the way to go. The auto turn is great for the bantam eggs up to small turkey eggs.. any thing larger won't work.
There's nothing more exciting than setting your first clutch and W-A-I-T-I-N-G......But when they first start to hatch.. Hoo Boy! It's Christmas!
the most important thing is making sure the temperature stays consistent. If you're using a used one, make sure you disinfect it well and maybe invest in a new temp wafer. Follow the instructions for filling the water troughs and the removal of the fresh air plugs.
I set up mine in a room that was never busy and could go completely dark for when it was time to candle. Usually the first week to 10 days on chicken eggs. The REALLY dark eggs are hard to see the capillary development, so you will learn to gauge by size of the air cell at the top of the egg. As tempting as it is, don't keep opening the top. This will release heat and humidity. There's small windows you can look into and see how everything is going and the water levels.
Good luck, I am excited for you!

I have had great success with my Hovabator Genesis 1588!!! Its a 'plug and play' for me. I do believe WHERE you place your 'bator makes a difference.
I have central heat/air in my house, and my bator is in my spare bathroom. The door is kept closed to keep the cats out.......because they like to sit or sleep on top of the humming/warm bator. LOL
The central AC/H unit helps keep the house at an even temp & humidity, so the bator doesn't have to work hard to keep everything even. I have noticed I need to add water more frequently during the winter months.
When I ordered my Genesis from GQF they sent me a free bunch of 35 quail eggs. They sent the bator and then about 10 days later sent the eggs. I had time to get the bator set up and then used the eggs as my first test hatch. 30 out of 35 hatched.
big_smile.png

I love my Genesis!!!

Quote:
Where did you buy it at this price, and how do you get a coupon code?

Back
Top Bottom