Starter, Pullet or Layer feed

Gracies Gigi

Hatching
Aug 3, 2023
My son and I are starting to raise chicks, we currently have 6. My son purchased them from Murray hatchery, and we haven't lost a one so far. They are 4 weeks old. I am trying to order their food from KOFFI here in Kentucky. (Recommended to my son), they have organic pullet food and layer food. My question is when can I start giving them Pullet food? Or can they have it now? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My son and I are starting to raise chicks, we currently have 6. My son purchased them from Murray hatchery, and we haven't lost a one so far. They are 4 weeks old. I am trying to order their food from KOFFI here in Kentucky. (Recommended to my son), they have organic pullet food and layer food. My question is when can I start giving them Pullet food? Or can they have it now? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
starter/ grower is recommend as it has the extra nutrients the growing chicks need. Layer feed should not be fed to chickens younger than 18 weeks unless they have begun egg-laying because it contains calcium that can permanently damage the kidneys, reduce lifetime egg production and shorten a bird's lifespan.

If it says "Layer", then it is high calcium. If it says Starter or Grower of All Flock, then it's fine for chicks. I don't think there's a specific 'pullet' food, since a pullet is just a young girl chicken. You want food without the additional calcium, but there's no need to read the label, just get anything that says starter, grower or all flock and you'll be fine. Be aware, too, that there are other bags of stuff that is not feed but more of a treat, heavy on corn. Corn generates heat and fat, it's not nutritious like the feed itself. Get something that states it is feed.

Back
Top Bottom