Starter vs. Grower Feed

chickschool

Songster
11 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Traverse City, MI
So, everything I've read has lead me to believe that you should keep your chicks on starter feed until 10 weeks or so then switch them to grower feed and then at 21 weeks and beyond layer feed. Well, yesterday a guy at TSC told me that my 14 week old chicks should still be on grower feed. They free range most of the day but I want them to be getting what they need. Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Purina offers Start N Grow, which they can stay on until they reach laying age. Then you don't need to worry about when to change their feed.

Dumore[spelling?] also has starter/grower. But I have noticed a huge issue with it. My chicks grow so crazy slow, I will be returning the bag I have unopened, just not worth it....

OMG...that brand is AWEFUL!!! I used it for the first time this past spring, because my regular feed store was closed, and I couldn't figure out why it started smelling so bad. At the time I had them in my classroom and in years past had never had a "smell" issue. Was cleaning them twice a day and finally figured out it was the food after posting a question about "smelly poop" and got many comments about that particular feed.

I know that organic food is more expensive but that is all I use now and haven't had anymore problems. It helps that they free range most of the day in the spring and summer and consume very little of the store bought feed so it's really only in the late fall and winter that I feel it in my wallet.

I've already upgraded to the better scratch. But my issue is also the whole animal cruelty thing some brands do with their testing on dogs and other animals. I'm working on better feed, it'll take time..

Back
Top Bottom