1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting a flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JadeMeister, Mar 17, 2016.

1. JadeMeister

JadeMeister Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2016
    So what do I need to know about starting a flock? Eg. Safe ages to mix, breeds that are safe to mix etc

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would get a couple different kinds of birds all the same age, and I would get all pullets. If they are all large fowl or all banty, it would be best. Raise them up, and get some eggs, and see what you like.

You do need a well ventilated coop, a good run even if you plan to let them range, clean food and water. In a year, you will have some experience, and will generally find another breed or two to try.

Mrs K

3. JadeMeister

Feb 25, 2016
    At this stage I have 2x 10 week Isa Browns and 4x mix breeds about 5 weeks old in together, hoping they all get on, they also have some ducks in there but they stick to themselves

4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    If you search "integrating flocks or integrating new hens into a flock" you will find some very good articles on how to go about it.

all the best
    CT

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ducks need different habitat, they need water deep enough to clean their nares(nostrils),
    which can make the environment less healthy(too wet) for the chickens.

If you have 10 week old and 5 week old chicks living together harmoniously, you've already cleared one hurdle.

It's not about age or breed so much in living together, it's about territory.

6. JadeMeister

Feb 25, 2016
    The ducks are only locked in overnight, at this stage the chicks are locked up all the time due to the cats in the area (they don't bother the bigger birds)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by