Starting a Hatchery

Are yours breeder quality? That would be a big seller I think. Or are they in happy coops and flocks and stuff? If they are raised better than other hatcheries and you have lots of different varieties I think they would sell pretty good.šŸ˜‰
Mine are free ranged everyday and are in a mixed flock with turkeys ducks and roosters. Iļøā€™m not sure what qualifies as breeder quality, but they sure are happy.šŸ˜Š They are yearlings and have lucky avoided being pecked on. I want to breed my silky rooster with one of the EE hens and see what kind of cross I get. Earlier this year I did it and I had a cross come out that had very fluffy cheeks, a Silkie crest, and 5 toes.

Mine are free ranged everyday and are in a mixed flock with turkeys ducks and roosters. Iļøā€™m not sure what qualifies as breeder quality, but they sure are happy.šŸ˜Š They are yearlings and have lucky avoided being pecked on. I want to breed my silky rooster with one of the EE hens and see what kind of cross I get. Earlier this year I did it and I had a cross come out that had very fluffy cheeks, a Silkie crest, and 5 toes.

Do not call them show quality :)

Some desirable and popular breeds in my opinion include

Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers
Black Copper Marans
Silkies
Wyandotteā€™s
New Hampshireā€™s
Welsummers
True Ameraucana
and for people who want high production- ISA browns (golden comets)

Feel free to add any more breeds, just thought Iā€™d give my 2 cents. :)

Iļø will definitely breed for cheek fluff! Iļø have a bunch of EE hens so all Iļø need is a roo and Iā€™m set. Iļø might have a hard time competing with the feed stores though šŸ˜…
Seems all or most of the hatcheries are breeding away from the face fluff, so if you keep the fluff and ship safely and have good customer service you should do well. I'm not a geneticist but I think your roo will need to be pb Aracauna, won't he? To maintain the blue/green egg laying factor?

Seems all or most of the hatcheries are breeding away from the face fluff, so if you keep the fluff and ship safely and have good customer service you should do well. I'm not a geneticist but I think your roo will need to be pb Aracauna, won't he? To maintain the blue/green egg laying factor?
Not really. An Ameraucana can be okay as well, but most hatcheries breed EEs x EEs anyways.

Orpingtons!!šŸ˜
Did someone already say speckled sussex?
Oh yeah!!! I have 2 Speckled Sussex, Riju and Ruby! They are gorgeous birds!!! 2D2EC87C-1B7E-4D01-8CB6-8DB1987ED72B.jpeg E2D49BBA-06D0-4007-80F0-0173DF53F0A0.jpeg

I thought you had to keep turkeys and chickens separated because they could get diseases from each other? Blackhead, is that right? And that drakes had to be kept away from hens because they can damage them sexually? šŸ¤” Sorry, I'm not really knowledgeable about this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom