Starting a Wooden Pallet coop

tjbeckman

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Millington, MI
So, we are going to be building a coop out of wooden pallets. I am wondering if anyone has had much luck with this? I am in Michigan and figuring that the pallets should provide enough of a wind break. I am planning to take them apart and place the boards together. Not leaving them slatted. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Do a search for pallet coops, there are tons that I have seen on here, but can't remember any names right off the top of my head. Lots of people have put together some really nice coops this way. Good luck!

I had been searching for them just wondered if they are really any good. I will give it a shot, a friend has 75 pallets for me... That should be more than enough LOL

How were you going to take of the slats? Sometimes pallets are great if left together, but they can fall apart pretty quick if you try to disassemble them. I would leave all the slats and just cover with your sheeting of choice if you don't want them to look like pallets. However, it really depends on the quality of your pallets.

I used a sawzall to cut the nails...so I cut behind the boards to free them off the pallet...
I tried removing them with pry bars and nail pullers but that was a TON of labor...way to much work...good luck

Ive built 2 pallet coops and am working on my 3rd right now. The pallets work fantastic as floors and walls and I leave mine together I dont break them down.

Pallet coop #1(turkey House)

Pallet Coop #2(was originally a small house for BBW turkeys)

After this smallcoop served its purpose We added an addition on using more pallets as the additional framing and made the chicken coop pictured below.

And Pallet coop number 3 is still a work in progress But I know exactly how I want it to turn out

Last edited:
My wife and I decided to venture into building a coop from pallets and so far, so good IMHO. We are not finished with the run and a few things on the coop but you can see our progress.

Before

LL

This is the Pallet coop finished Cost me a total of $15

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom