Starting chicks in new insulated coop with chick starter kit??

Penske

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Massachusetts
Hi all!

We are nearing completion of the coop-interior floor space 68 sq ft, 8 ft walls, peak ceiling with rafters, vents on both ends, 3 windows, double-floor, insulated walls...

I bought a chick starter kit from Meyer's. Can I start my chicks in the coop? There will be 14 (well that's what i ordered from MPC)? They will arrive the week of April 14th.

I know about heat and have the lamp. What does the surrounding air temp need to be in the coop? I really want to start them there. Coop is warmer than garage; have cats inside the house and a pre-school. Coop is brand new.

Advice???

Thanks SOOOO much!

Lisa

I believe you can as long as you check the temp in the brooder as frequently as the outdoor temps fluctuate. If it were me, I'd want them indoors at night, however, so I might get some sleep! Wish I had electricity in my coop!

Make sure they are draft free and can move in and out of the direct heat. They should be fine with bedding to snuggle in to and plenty of feed and water available. Just know the heat lamp will have to run 24/7.

Please be cautious with your heat lamp and anchor it securely, even hanging it from the ceiling. It can be a fire hazzard with all the bedding. Check it for dust and keep it wiped off for the same reason. -I can be a mother hen about these things. lol
wink.png

Enjoy your chicks!

Thanks for all of your input so far. Since there will be quite a bit of air volume, would I just keep the windows and vents closed? I know that I have to keep them clean etc.

Honestly, I am getting nervous now about this...!!!! I wish I had someone to hold my hand and show me...I've read this forum and about 5 books cover to cover, but nothing beats actual experience.

Nervous on Nantucket,

Lisa

Hang the light about 2.5 ft above the floor so they can get under the heat. If you could corral them in an area with enough room to freely move around and away from the light if they get to warm they should do fine. Close the windows but you do need some venting. You won't believe how dusty these little boogers can be. They kick up more dust than you can imagine. LOL

I use a pack n play and keep it in my kitchen for as long as 6 - 8 weeks. But that is just me. I guess I am an over protective hen? LOL

Originally, I was going to keep them in our classroom, but one of my students has asthma and that is not such a good idea. Plus it would take up valuable floor space for busy pre-schoolers!

I really have to make the coop work. So, if I keep the gable vents open, they should be fine, right? What can the "room" temp be? I know that they need the heat lamp 24/7--should I get red instead of the clear 250 watt infared they sent??? I have brooder guard that I can corral them in with on the coop floor. I'll test it all out before they get here to make sure the foor temp of the "brooder" is at 95 degrees (then I reduce it by 5 degrees each week right by raising the light, right?)

BTW, my husband calls me "mother hen"!! Always has!! I didn't know it would lead to raising chickens!!! HA:lol:

The coop has an attached grain room--you enter the coop through the grain room, then there is a smallish battan door into the coop. This will help to keep cool outdoor air from rushing in...

Lisa

Hi Lisa, mine started out in my somewhat damp and unfinished basement of my house (built in 1875) With a heat lamp...so the room itself was probably never warmer than 60. They moved into their coop in December, we built it extra warm as we were worried about the time of year! They've done great and just started laying 2 weeks ago, their run (as yet no walls) is covered, mine do not even consider walking in the considerable amount of snow we have gotten this year, but any available dirt is being dug up and tossed about! When it has been the coldest they might come out, supervised for an hour...your description sounds like they will be just fine, do follow other peoples advice, I have found it is quite sound!

Back
Top Bottom