Starting from scratch looking for advice

citychicken

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Austin Texas
Hi- really new here. I am building a coop in my yard and I am very excited about getting chickens. I have many questions. I will start off with a few I haven't been able to find on the forum.

I will have space for 4 chickens. Since I will ony have a few I am being particular on what I want- colored egg, hens only, friendly...-possibly 2 silkies for my kid.

Can I be as specific to ask someone to sell me their hand raised birds? or should I raise 6 chicks in a breed that can produce colored eggs and part with the extra birds.

Is it OK to be FREAKED out about opening a box of chicks? If there is damage in shipping I will feel horrible.

I am also new to this, however over the summer me and my dad built a 8x10 coop and we are expecting our chicks in Feb. We have dont lots of research, but no matter how much you look, it seems as though there are still so many unanswered questions!

First off...
welcome-byc.gif
big_smile.png

You only have to purchase three chicks from MyPetChicken, I believe. That way you can hand raise them & will not have to rehome any? (I found it is really fun hand raising them.)

Though I have only had chickens for a little over a year and a half, I found out that Easter Eggers & Ameraucanas are nice colored egg chickens if handled early on.

There are lots of other out there with advice who have had chickens a whole lot longer than me though...

Hi, and
welcome-byc.gif
Don't be afraid to look in the BST threads for exactly what you want, and certainly put out a "wanted" post when you're ready for little ones. Hand raised older (3wk and up) birds may not be that hard to come by in your area (where are you?). There are wonderful people on this forum who are willing to help you get pretty much exactly what you want or need, don't hesitate to ask! Personally, I've done day olds from the feed store, but I think when I "restock" in the spring, I'm going to go "local" since there is someone close who has exactly what I want, and I'll know the conditions they were raised in. (plus I won't have to deal with shipping!) Good luck, and be sure to post pics of your coop and birds when all's settled.

PS Whatever you get, breed-wise, be sure to handle them frequently, it helps them be more "Pet like" and less "flighty" usually.

Last edited:
WELCOME to you both! You've found an OUTSTANDING place to meet people for info, friendship and fun!!
welcome-byc.gif

Someone mentioned MyPetChicken.com for a few birds, but I believe www.idealpoultry.com (in Cameron TX) ships small orders, as well.

Enjoy and keep us posted!
pop.gif

welcome-byc.gif
to the both of you.

and my word of advice is

if you want a high percentage of hens as in wanting few chicks with the possibility of all hens order from mypetchicken or somewhere similar do not rely on local unsexed chicks to be hens.

and two if you are not real picky on the hens and roos i love to hatch eggs you can hatch eggs hand raise them the when they are old enough to tell if they are hens or roos sell the extras for 5-10$ a bird thats what i do and personally i cant keep them here long enough i post them on Craigslist and at our church lost found and wanted board and i can't keep them long enough true story i posted 4 extra roos and Craigslist and the second i was done posting i went up stairs to tell my mom and she had a phone call beep in when she picked up it was a lady wanting all four of my roos for breeding sold in less than a minute.

So which ever one you want to do is fine,

Crazy C

The Hatch-a-holic

I was afraid to open the box of chicks this spring, but all 15 were alive and peeping.

I think Silkies are a good idea, especially if you don't want too many eggs.

My flock now is the closest I've ever been to raising chicks: I got all nine of them as four-week-olds from a local breeder (in Albuquerque, NM). (Actually I got ten, but two turned out to be cockerels. I kept one and sold one to a very nice woman who wanted a buff orpington roo to protect her flock.)

Anyway, I shouldn't think you would have a problem in TX finding a local farmer that raises chickens that would be willing to sell you (or give you) a few hens to start. My friend here was just selling his 12-month-old hens to people who wanted backyard birds just so he could thin his flock a bit. If you look around, I would think you could find someone who had what you wanted without having to go through the hassle of raising day-olds. (I recognize that for some folks it's not a hassle; it's fun!!!)

Just my opinion. Good luck. This is fun!

I have to admit that opening that box of chicks (even just three!) was a wonderful wonderful feeling, and the only other time I felt that same type of joyous thrill was the day my kids were born. Sounds weird I know but it's true!
wee.gif

Phyllis

Back
Top Bottom