Starting from the beginning

Hi fellow Alabama transplant! I love it here and hope you will as well! Also new to chickens, so this site is a real godsend for information. People are great about helping with sick chickens or whatever else you want to ask. Not the first to say it, but thank you for your service to our country!
welcome-frog.gif

Hi fellow Alabama transplant! I love it here and hope you will as well! Also new to chickens, so this site is a real godsend for information. People are great about helping with sick chickens or whatever else you want to ask. Not the first to say it, but thank you for your service to our country!
View attachment 1672575
Thanks I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions in the near future. I’m glad to be back home after being gone for so long. So much has changed

View attachment 1672575
Thanks I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions in the near future. I’m glad to be back home after being gone for so long. So much has changed

Nope, Nope, and Nope.
I was thinking maybe 5 or 6 to start. Looking for eggs mainly at the start. Just reading and studying but there’s so much out there how do you know?
Are you going to build a new coop or convert the shed on your property into the coop?
As for breeds, you can go onto most hatchery sites and they will have birds sorted out by what color eggs they lay, whether or not they are cold and/or heat hardy and what their maximum egg production would be. Choose the breed(s) that appeal to you and start there.

:welcome

When it comes time to figure out what breeds you want to start with, this article might be of some help to you:
Pickin' the Right Frickin' Chicken: Guide to Picking Backyard Chicken Breeds

There are so many wonderful breeds around, maybe you'd like to start with a mixed flock so you can try out a few different ones.

Make yourself at home here and always feel free to ask questions. Have fun exploring the forums!

Back
Top Bottom