Starting meaties with layers - which feed?

sovia

Songster
11 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Black Hills of SD
I raised my first flock of meat birds this past summer, freedom rangers from JM Hatchery, and was fairly pleased with the results. However, I am still a "newbie" and thought I would try a batch of White Plymouth Rocks from Mt. Healthy for comparison and am attracted to the lower price and the white feathers. (I live at app. 5000 ft elevation and therefore am not interested in the Cornish Rocks.)

I want to order the White Rocks at the same time as a new laying flock. What I am wondering is if I can raise them all together for the first 8 weeks and feed them a ration of 20% protein such as Homestead FastGrow. Or do I start them all on a 16% chick ration (Homestead Poultry Developer) and switch the white rocks to the higher protein at 8 weeks when they are moved to a chicken tractor? I am trying to plan this whole thing out and am a little confused. It would be SO nice to set up the brooder only once and raise them all together in the beginning.
big_smile.png

I wish I had a better answer for you, but I don't... I have also been wondering what to do with feeding some birds. They are dual purpose birds, I want them to range with my layers until processing day. But I don't know which to feed them..

Christal

I started my first batch of meat birds with my laying flock chicks. Everybody got Purina medicated chick starter for 3 weeks, then I separated out the CX because they grew so fast and were so messy.

I'm not sure if its "right" but I started my meaties on pruina flock raiser which is the same thing I feed all my chickens/turkeys. When I start DP chicks I use medicated chick starter, but other than that all flock raiser.

I would feed them all the same food. My only concern is the extra cost of the higher protein feed going to the non-meat birds. But, unless you have a way to separate the birds, you'll need to feed them the same food.

I sort birds and buy separate feeds for separate needs...

Purina layena for the layers

Purina Flock Raiser for the meaties

Diff. birds have diff needs according to what you want the outcomes to be. I believe it is very very important to invest in the nutritional needs that will nourish your family to the best possible expectation. Of course it can be done in an 'all in one' mind set, but will you get premium results that way? i dunno.

Back
Top Bottom