Starting my first mixed breed, heritage, self-sustaining chicken flock

Quote:
Good point

Quote:
And they sometimes go broody.

Before you get psyched about certain breeds, check to see if they're available in Canada.

Quote:
Yes I also found this to be true my first batch came March 25th and were laying by Aug. my replacement order came May 25th, and they started laying in late Sept early Oct. They seem to all be laying pretty well seeing as how winter in Wis. is cold wet, windy and dark, daybreak here is 720am, and sets by 4;15, so if the sun comes out it still isn't much light per hours of day. and we don't see alot of sun here in the winter, if were luky 2 days a week is the most we get.... my best layers over the winter are BSl, Bo and my Dels. my BR seems to be a slacker, so do my WR's.

The weather should be relatively mild on Vancouver Island. There are breeders of Marans on the mainland. You might check out this organization http://fvpfa.org/ for some contacts. I would start with chicks. My initial hatch was not that great (temp fluctuations, exploding eggs, found out later some of the eggs had been frozen...). I really like the wyandotte, orpington and love my one barred rock hen. Nice birds and pretty to boot.
smile.png

Ok!

So I've research chicken breeds to the death! lol
Here is what I've decided on and the reasoning behind my decisions. If any of you have any experiences with these breeds, I'd love to hear them!! If you think there is a breed that is better for my needs, feel free to put in your two cents too!
smile.png

Australorp: reasoning..... "excellent" layer of "large" brown eggs, calm/docile .

Ameraucana: "good" layer of "large" blue eggs, calm/docile

Maran: "good" layer of "large" dark brown eggs, good breed for damp terrain

Dorking: "good" layer of "large" white eggs, renowned for tasty meat, lay through winter, calm/docile, good for colder climate (want to hatch out the dorking eggs every so oftern for a continued supply of meat)

Plymouth Rock: "fast" growing bird, "good" layer of "large" brown eggs, good for colder climate (want to hatch out the rock's eggs for meat birds)

According to my research, not any experience haha, these birds will give me a good amount of eggs, of varying colours that are roughly the same size. Moreover, I can also hatch out two for meat birds, see which one I prefer in temperament, taste, egg/meat productivity, ease of care, value etc... and decide on which one to continue with. Plus, the birds are known to be fairly friendly (I have a toddler).

I find the variegated colour varieties more pleasing to look at.

Next, I have a few questions.

I would like to support local business (birds accustomed to climate/diseases) and get my birds from a breeder (as a result of BYC's member's advice: bigger birds); however, I cannot find a breeder that sells all five chicken types. I have found one breeder who can get me the dorking, maran, and ameraucana, and then another who can get me the plymouth rock, but I haven't found one that gets me my much wanted australorp. My concern with using multiple breeders is that I will have to coordinate the chicks arrivals at the same time to avoid varying ages/fighting/giving different food etc. SO, what do I do? Try my luck with eggs? Go to a hatchery? Is there a breeder out there who can give me all five breeds?

Also, breeders around here sell unsexed chicks. So my next question is this: How do I get 20 hens without overcrowding the henhouse? From what I understand, I have to buy 40 chicks, and half ought to be roos. I would like to keep a few roos for breeding; however, the others I will eat. BUT, where do they live while they're getting big enough to eat? Do I have to build a secondary coop? If so, my husband won't be very pleased haha

Thanks in advance for any and all help
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom