1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting my small flock

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Viva-Lena, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Viva-Lena

Viva-Lena Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Does anyone on here order their chicks from Rochester hatcheries in Westlock AB? I'm curious do I have to order by 25? And can I order a mixture of chicks? I don't want a huge flock. Maybe 6-10. I have been researching like crazy on everything I need to make these girls happy and comfortable future layers! TIA

2. misbhaven

misbhaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2014
    ideal poultry lets you order just a few chicks, your order just has to be $25 not 25 chicks. shipping is reasonable as well i think for 9 chicks, vaccinated and grogel it was like $41 or 42.. or go to you local farm store.. tractor supply, farm and fleet etc the min. is usually 5 or 6 chicks ours are taking orders now for march delivery.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Looking at their catalog they say min of 25 chicks to ship.

As MisBhaven said, your better off calling your local farm supply store. No idea what those are in Canada. Here I've got an Agway in 3 miles and Blue Seal Feed store in one mile of me. One does spring orders and other both orders and have in stock several breeds each spring. Minimum purchase by my state law is 6 chicks.

4. Viva-Lena

Viva-Lena Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    Thanks! I will call our local farm and feed to see what their deal is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by