Starting new flock....what should I get?

HawgHunter

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
So, I'm starting a new flock. I have a coop here at the house (residential neighborhood) and another on some property. The plan is to have my egg layers here at the house with no rooster. The coop on the property will house more hens along with roosters for breeding. Originally I was going to start with some Rhode Island Reds with dominiques to follow soon after. But after going through this forum and reading others folks experiences with these breeds, they may not be what I'm after.

What I am after is....

A good egg layer. We want lots of eggs.
Large eggs for my large family.
Broody, but not too bad. For breeding.
Can handle this Texas heat.
White or brown eggs. Doesn't matter.
Not too mean. I have kids.
Not too loud. I live in a residential neighborhood.

Any idea's, tips or information is welcome.

Brad

Last edited:
For numbers and size of eggs the two champions seem to be white leghorns for white eggs and the various red sex links for brown. Are you going strictly for eggs or are you going to process roosters and spent hens also? Do you plan on culling and rotating the egg layers every few years? If you are going to go with one of the popular egg layers like those, you can usually buy sexed chicks cheaper at the local feed store, or order them in, than you can keep broody hens and roosters and raise your own.

So, I'm starting a new flock. I have a coop here at the house (residential neighborhood) and another on some property. The plan is to have my egg layers here at the house with no rooster. The coop on the property will house more hens along with roosters for breeding. Originally I was going to start with some Rhode Island Reds with dominiques to follow soon after. But after going through this forum and reading others folks experiences with these breeds, they may not be what I'm after.

What I am after is....

A good egg layer. We want lots of eggs.
Large eggs for my large family.
Broody, but not too bad. For breeding.
Can handle this Texas heat.
White or brown eggs. Doesn't matter.
Not too mean. I have kids.
Not too loud. I live in a residential neighborhood.

Any idea's, tips or information is welcome.

Brad

Hi Brad!'
Come on over to the Heritage Large Fowl list on BYC. Many experienced breeders there willing to help you get started right with high quality birds from Heritage breeds needing someone to love them. It costs the same amount to feed hatchery birds as it does high quality Heritage. This is a great time of year to get started because many breeders are trimming this years hatch for overwintering. So some lovely high quality birds coming on the market now which were hatched this Spring and will be good winter layers. You will pay a little more for them, but it will cost you less than it did for the breeder to raise them to this point.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/400344/heritage-large-fowl-thread/15300
They can help you find a breed and strain to meet your needs as well as handle the Texas heat. Looking forward to seeing you there!
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
I'm heading out here soon to pick up 20 quail and 6 chickens. Not sure what I'm getting yet so we shall see. I'll post up when I get back.

Back
Top Bottom