Starting our Hobby Farm in West Michigan

newtnn

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 2, 2014
Fennville, Michigan
Hi there, my name is Nick.

My wife Rachel and I just bought a house with some land, and are hoping to start a hobby farm, and eventually raise some heritage sheep and a few goats. But to start off, we are getting chickens.

The coop is assembled, the chickens are ready to be picked up, just need to get them! We are getting two Hamburg hens, two Lakenvelder hens (all four have been living together elsewhere and are two years old) as well as 3-4 younger Delaware hens. Maybe sometime next spring we will try to find a rooster to help with livestock conservation?
But yeah, I never thought I would be saying this, but I'm ready and excited to own chickens. So, hello to all of you BYC folks! I plan to learn a thing or several from you, and I hope I can return the favor some day!

-Nick

welcome-byc.gif

So glad you joined us.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of good articles on getting started with chickens, building the coop, picking the breeds, raising the chicks, and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck with your new hobby farm and we do welcome you to our flock!

Welcome to BYC, Nick. Glad you decided to join our flock. I used to raise Nubian goats and now my son-in-law wants to raise some goats. I'm all for it and willing to help him in any way I can. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock and you hobby farm going.

Back
Top Bottom