Starting Out, Any Advice?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by melodyrg, Oct 31, 2012.

1. melodyrg

melodyrg Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2012
    Hi everyone! I'm really interested in raising chickens for my FFA SAE project. I plan on building my own coop and run and keep 4-6 hens and selling the eggs to family and friends. I basically just need advice! Also, I really want to keep a flock of mixed breeds that all produce eggs well. So please help me out with this project I basically need to know, 1. How many chickens do you recommend I keep? 2. What breeds mix well together and produce eggs well? And feel free to throw out any knowledge I may, and most likely am lacking about raising chickens, thanks everyone!

Edit: Also, I'm looking into buying chicks from Meyers hatchery. Should I get my chicks vaccinated for Marek's disease?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

The learning center above has very useful information for starting out. Google the Henderson Chicken Chart for good breed information.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, melodyrg, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! I think it's cool you are using chickens for your project - I think you will find it very rewarding. I am all in favor of a mixed flock - I really like the variety. I agree with others about going to the Learning Center. I wish you the best!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello & welcome to BYC from The Heartland of Kentucky!

[​IMG]

9. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    It depends on where you live. If you live in Florida, you cant sell eggs to anyone. I advise you to look over your local laws before you begin planning your chicken set up.

I know some of you are getting ready to say BS, you can too sell eggs. Here is the law. (in general terms because its been over a year since I researched it.) Florida law says that to sell eggs, you have to meet certain sanitary requirements. You have to have a dedicated out building with a commercial style kitchen on your property, but it must be a separate building. It must have a stainless steel sink, the kind found in commercial kitchens. Certain kind of flooring, certain kind of walls. The building must contain a water heater capable of reaching some high temperature. Etc, Etc, Etc, Etc. The list goes on and on.

And yes, that's required even for some guy selling two dozen eggs a month to his neighbor. Oh, I forgot, You also have to be inspected regularly and must post the inspection report on the wall in a certain way.

I really wanted to sell eggs as a very small business, but I cant afford to set up what amounts to a commercial restaurant in my back yard. If I could, i would just open a little diner.

Riki

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. TheChickenKid

TheChickenKid New Egg

Oct 28, 2012
    I'm glad you are getting started with chickens! :D First, if you are getting baby chicks, just make sure you have a brooder (witch can be anything from a big cardboard box, to a wooden floored cage, or anything that will keep the chicks warm and safe.) you will need feeders and waterers (witch you can pick up at a local Tractor Supply CO or some place like that. You will need chick starter feed, and a heat lamp THAT IS NOT COATED WITH ANYTHING EXPESIALLY TEFLON that stuff will kill all birds with in a few miniutes you would want a red heat lamp bulb (the temperature should stay about 90-95 degrees for the first week lower the tempurature by 5 degrees each week until you get to 80 degrees) the bulb should look be clear not plastic looking. You can go to a local hatchery or you can mail order chicks from www.mcmurrayhatchery.com. prior to hatching chicks absorve yolk with has everything they need so they won't have to eat or drink for a few days, perfect for long shipping! :D when the chicks get about a few months older you should put them in the coop.

Any questions or comments? Just email me at [email protected]!

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by