Starting out...I'm overwhelmed!!

Carvethchicks

Hatching
Jul 6, 2017
Hi,
My name is Amy Carveth. We live in a suburb outside of Denver, CO. Our family is looking to raise chickens in our backyard. We have a small coop that we are told would fit 3 chickens comfortably. My youngest daughter is 8 and she is nuts about all living creatures. She is looking forward to really being able to interact and spend time with the chickens. We are all looking forward to delicious fresh eggs! At this point, I could really use some help in picking out what types of chicks to order. Which breeds are known to be the friendliest? We'd like to have a few different kinds, but do most breeds interact well together? Also, should we order just 3 chicks, or a few extra in case some don't make it to adulthood? Thanks so much for your help!

Welcome to BYC!
We are glad you joined.
This video should help you learn your way around the site, enjoy!
Three chicks is a good number and I'd have to say my Dominiques are the friendliest.

:welcome
And don't be overwhelmed! Keeping chickens isn't difficult, and it is so very rewarding. :)

I can't recommend Orpingtons enough. I've been raising them for over 3 years now, and I haven't looked back. They are big, dual purpose birds, very friendly, and mine have been great egg layers. You do, however, need to take into consideration that their egg production isn't as regular as your Rhode Island Reds, or hybrid breeds, so if your main concern is getting lots of eggs, they may not be the best choice. But if you're looking for big, fluffy hens who love to be cuddled, they are perfect for you :)

I usually order a few more chicks than I want to end up having in my flock. You never know what could happen, and at least half will probably end up being roosters (from my experience anyway ;)

I think 6 is a good number to start off with.

Most breeds do get along together, however there are a few breeds which are more dominant than others. For example, you wouldn't want to keep Orpingtons with Rhode Island Reds, as they are pretty much complete opposites when it comes to temperament and the Orpingtons will more than likely get a beating.

We currently have a flock of Brahmas, Orpingtons and Faverolles as our egg layers, and they get along very well, also supplying us with fresh eggs daily. All three of these breeds are docile, so it makes sense to keep them together.

If you need more info, or have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'd be more than happy to help you out, and there are so many knowledgeable people here on BYC, so you'll always be sure to get a great answer to any question.

I have two daughters and we have a tiny flock of three - one Buff Orpington and two Austrolorps. The orpington is the most cuddly and loves to sit on my lap. The Austrolorps are really friendly and curious. They will follow the kids around the yard and come running whenever they have treats. They aren't lap chickens but they are very sweet. They are also really funny to watch and gorgeous birds.

I would suggest that when you get the chicks, you supervise the children holding them every day to get the chickens used to being handled, and the children used to holding chickens properly. I think with kids it's important for the chickens to get used to human contact early. And the children need to know how to hold them without hurting them.

We are considering adding to our flock and getting some dominiques next year. They are reported to be really docile and also small. If you have a small coop, you might want to focus on smaller breeds. Orpingtons are generally large birds, dominiques are much smaller. So if your coop holds three regular sized chickens, you might be able to get four dominiques.

I wouldn't order more chicken that you can healthily fit in your coop. Having only two chickens because two didn't make it is preferable IMO than having all of the health conditions and behavioral problems that come with overcrowding. As long as you never have a lone chicken, a smaller flock is fine.

Great post Centercallgirl !
I agree with you. 2 orpingtons and an Australorp is an excellent combination for a beginner. they are docile and friendly. they lay a lot of eggs. do well in cold weather. Both breeds come in a wide variety of colors for the girls to choose from.
Great post, good advice !
Karen

If you just want hens, make sure that you get a breed that can be sexed at birth, otherwise you run the risk of ending up with less hens than you ultimately want. My first chickens (bought off Craigslist) were straight run (not able to be sexed at birth), so I ended up with 4 hens and 3 roosters. The next batch (of the same breed) that I bought from a local co-op were advertised as pullets. I bought twice as many as I wanted based on my previous experience, but they all turned out to be pullets (somehow the hatchery was able to sex them).

So, this coop you have.... What size is it? What are the dimensions ftxft?
Can it be expanded? More space is better imo if you can improve on the size of coop and run before you get chicks all the better:)

That being said, Meyer's hatchery has a minimum order of 3, plus they will give you a meal maker for free. I would go with four if you have the space.

Good luck

Gary

I have two golden comets in my mixed flock and they're friendly enough. They've also got an almost perfect record for egg laying. I can pretty much count on two brown eggs, probably two white eggs (leghorns), and sometimes a beige from my slacker Easter Egger or my geriatric buff orpington.

Do you have any friends that you could go in on an order of chicks with? If there are two of you that can handle three hens and you order, say, 7 chicks, if one doesn't make it, you each get 3, if two don't make it, one gets 3 the other gets two- spread the risk a bit, if you will?

Back
Top Bottom