Starting over

dragonchick

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 30, 2007
I figure the best thing I can do is start over with a new set of eggs from a new supplier. Maybe there was something wrong with the eggs I got from my neighbor. I know where I can get some more eggs and I have a super disinfectant to clean the incubators so maybe the next time will be better.

The disinfectant is Barbicide which is used in hospitals to kill many hard to kill germs, viruses, and bacterias. I got it at a yard sale for free since I neither work in a hospital or hair salon. Hopefully it will kill whatever is contaminating my incubator and make the outcome better. I have used this stuff in the goat house when I had a sick goat staying there and none of the others got sick. I figure an over night soak should do the trick.

I will post my setting date if others want to hatch with me.

The incubators are super clean and I will be picking up fresh eggs in the morning after work. There are several roosters so the eggs should all be fertile. Hopefully these will work out better. I am also changing the room the incubators will be in. There are 2 windows but I will be hanging curtains over them to block the light and heat that comes through them. Other than that I could put them in the windowless bathroom.

Humidity in the ambient air could be a problem in the bathroom. My first hatch was perfect (well, as near as can be for a first one, with shipped impossible to candle eggs) and I have put it in the same place this time. The other incubator won't fit next to it and is in a brighter spot, although it doesn't get direct sunlight. I have put a piece of cardboard under the bator and folded it so it stands up along the side of the bator facing the window to shade it a little extra too.

If you move it, and find a good spot, always run it there. Even the other side of a room can make all the difference. Mine is set on a kitchen counter with a wall each side (outside wall and chimney breast) and a cupboard above it. Cool spot, close to window for fresh air, but doesn't get direct light at all.

Oh - edit - remember to restart in bator again tonight so it's nice and cosy and dry before you pop new eggs in tomorrow!!
Good luck...

Last edited:
Good luck!
Hope this one works better.
Have you recalibrated your hygrometer?

fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
Sure did, its in the calibration bag right now and I will check it in the morning.

I will turn the incubator on when I leave for work so it has all night to heat up and dry out any moisture left from drying. I have some damp rid and thought about placing a teaspoon in a small cup so I can better control any rising humidity problems. I know I am probably over complicating this but I want this group to hatch.

If it's humid in the house, try running it dry for a while, and you can always add a small bit of water later on? If there's only the preformed water trays, you can cover some of the tray with tin foil. It's the surface area, not depth of the water, that influences humidity.

She only had 4 eggs this morning so this will be a start. I will be looking for some more as I would like to start with a dozen if possible.

Back
Top Bottom