Starting to build our coop today.

McCord6

Away
10 Years
Sep 9, 2009
Lake Butler (Union County)
We are doing the layout for the coop today. Im thinking about doing the hen house as 5ft x 7ft x 7ft and the run as 18ft x 5ft for the run. Sounds good for 10 chickens?

*even though we have lost 7 of our chicks, we are soon replacing them. I found some for $1 each chick so we are going to stock up 9 more chicks soon*

They recommend 4 sq. ft. indoors and 10 sq. ft. outdoors for each standard sized chicken. If the henhouse is 5' long x7'wide x7' high you'll have only 35 sq. feet and you need 40. For the run 18x5= 90 sq. feet and you need 100 sq. ft for 10 chickens. If you get only 9 hens then you'll be OK (36 sq. ft. indoors is best but I think you'll do fine with 35)..
thumbsup.gif

Okay, I did good though. LOL! I was close but maybe not close enough. We haven't done any building yet, just setting up, measuring and seeing how things look. I got some Showgirls that should be coming by the end of the month also which Im going to build a total different coop for them, seperate from my mutts but they will be right next to the mutt's coop and run (Side by side).

Nothing is going to waste. All the woods I have are recycled and they are a little over 7 feet long which is why I chosen 7 foot. I guess Im going to do 7x7x7. Good squared hen house.

Back
Top Bottom