Starting to feel the Chicken hobby has lost Its Mind, Or maybe we have?

Chullicken

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Dorchester, NH
I have been looking online a recently to replace some of my girls that sadly didn't hold out well with a weasel attack, health issues and the like. Wanted to go with started pullets to avoid the issues with having roosters (Which I love, just can't have them where I rent). $165 for a 1.5 old 'friendly' hen from a 'prominent' hatchery/breeder. Some of the bigger hatcheries...$100 for a five week old not hard to find or get layer variety. Some sites lumping Ameraucanas in with Easter Eggers and Araucanas likes its not a thing, chicks dipped in Essential Oils which is probably in my humble opinion one of the greatest marketing schemes aside from 'crafted' sandwiches and bottled water. 14 different feed varieties that shockingly enough have almost identical nutrition values just in different bags from the same company. A guy that sells firewood down the road from me has several huge signs...'Non GMO Organic Firewood for Sale'. Its amusing as all hell, but I'm smart enough to know its meant to be amusing and funny.
Honestly feel I am taking stupid pills on the regular when I Google search, read forums on various sites and talk to vendors. Anyone ever really tried to walk with a chicken on a leash and had smashing, all out hit success with friends and family? If I had any hair left, think it would have just all fallen out.

Ok, first of all i'm not worth 165 dollars. Secondly oil dipped chicks, are you serious? Lastly, I have walked a few of mine on a leash. I'm actually a little proud, not exactly an easy thing to do. Pretty fun too, in this day and age not one soul will say a thing about you having a chicken on a leash.:gig
Lol...yeah that is very true!

I would like a bedazzled chicken leash. Where does one find such a thing? I might need more than one. I wonder if the chickens would run along side me while I bike? Or do you think they prefer long distance hikes?
Ooh my dogs would sure enjoy the extra company! :wee

I would like a bedazzled chicken leash. Where does one find such a thing? I might need more than one. I wonder if the chickens would run along side me while I bike? Or do you think they prefer long distance hikes?
Ooh my dogs would sure enjoy the extra company! :wee
You could really go for one of those tiny dog 'totes' and carry it around The Home Depot.

..oil dipped chicks? Is this for convenience of baking? :gig

I would pay around $70, I think, for a decent quality adult bird that was in the Standard, from a breeder I knew and trusted. Much more than that starts to feel scammy. There is nothing worth with getting your money in effort, but good breeders generally aren't in it for the cash. The truly expensive birds are, in my limited experience, inbred (in the bad way,) lacking in vigour, and haven't seen the inside of an APA SOP book, ever.

Many hatcheries that I see on-line now, while fun to browse, seem to be going the way of the Victorian hen craze rather than providing chickens for a practical purpose. If that floats your boat, whatever. I wouldn't paint a dog's toenails either, but that seems to be prevalent, eh?

Last edited:
You could really go for one of those tiny dog 'totes' and carry it around The Home Depot.
Wow. I don't know Why I haven't thought of that yet. Better yet, I could buy a bunch of them and add some bling and sell them as chicken carriers! :ya
I've always wanted my own etsy shop. ;):p

Last edited:
..oil dipped chicks? Is this for convenience of baking? :gig

I would pay around $70, I think, for a decent quality adult bird that was in the Standard, from a breeder I knew and trusted. Much more than that starts to feel scammy. There is nothing worth with getting your money in effort, but good breeders generally aren't in it for the cash. The truly expensive birds are, in my limited experience, inbred (in the bad way,) lacking in vigour, and haven't seen the inside of an APA SOP book, ever.

Many hatcheries that I see on-line now, while fun to browse, seem to be going the way of the Victorian hen craze rather than providing chickens for a practical purpose. If that floats your boat, whatever. I wouldn't paint a dog's toenails either, but that seems to be prevalent, eh?
Yeah, I'd definitely pay $70 for an awesome, well bred bird for sure and it does trouble me (Whole another rant post) that I see and read that way to much...the 'standard'. They will always be just pets to me and an extension of myself, never will they be someone else's idea of perfection. I find the entire idea lacking character in sincere honesty. I spend countless hours researching my passion which is chickens and I agree with you in general about hatcheries. Throw a bunch of birds in a pen and hope for the best. I'd gladly pay $70 to get back my girls I recently lost.

Back
Top Bottom