Starting to Fly and a ?

oandrea

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
DFW, Texas
I am thinking we need to clip our girls wings as they are becoming rather good at flying around the yard. I would hate to lose one in the neighbors yard... can you imagine? But then again I am afraid of them not being able to run from predators. They only come out of their covered run in the evenings about an hour or so before bed. Most of the time I am out there with them. Just to give you all the details I live in town and our ordinance says we should keep them pinned up at all times. I think they need access to more parts of my yard so I allow them a little freedom every day to help keep them happy and healthy.

Advice?

Welcome.gif

If you are out there when you have them loose then prediators may not be as much of a concern as them going into your neighbors yard. I guess you need to decide what you think your neighbor may do if they get over there. Also, is your yard fenced? That would cut down on dogs being able to get at them so that's one less prediator.

yes my back yard is fenced with a six foot privacy fence. As well none of my bordering neighbors have dogs. I am the only one who has a dog and she is only slightly interested in the girls.

Thank you for the welcome (I think you got me on another of my threads as well:))

I was hoping for some experienced chook parents to tell me what they do.

A six foot fence is quite high. Have they come close to going over? I know chickens can fly up into trees to roost but, have they bothered to go that high. Mine are locked in a run due to prediators here but, I have seen posts where fences as high as your's is they say you should be fine. I know my girls run fence is six feet and they don't bother it.

My chickens don't fly off anywhere - perhaps they're too dang lazy.

Most of the fencing around my back yard is 4ft - there are two sections that are only 3ft... (going to be replaced) but its been up for months and nobody has left the yard.

Are they all standard breeds? It would be unlikely (not impossible) for standard chickens to fly over a 6 ft. fence. If you have smaller breeds then you may have more of an issue. Generally, unless they are being chased by something, the larger chickens just don't fly much and if they do, they seldom clear more than a foot or two of air space. Also, if they are free ranging your yard, they are happy girls and are also less likely to fly over that fence.

It sounds like they are just enjoying stretching their wings with little flights when they get out of the coop/run. Even my bigger girls will fly from the coop door across the run for 20 feet, they just don't get very high.

I would not clip their wings unless they start going over the fence. The six foot fence will stop most chickens. Even bantams are unlikely to fly over that unless they are being chased. If your yard is of good size they will not have a reason to see whats on the other side.
My fence around my yard is 4 foot and can only think of a time or two in 15 years any have gone over. Occasionaly in the fall and winter when they can run the yard all day (not confined to their run) a couple of the light weight breeds will fly up there and take a nap :lol:but came back into their yard when nap time is over.

Back
Top Bottom