Starting to get DUCK BUG CRAZY

DaKid

Songster
11 Years
Aug 31, 2008
Berkley , Ma.
Ok I have Chickens and Turkeys for all most 2-1/2 years now and I'm thinking about building a small duck run /aviary for the smaller size ducks as pets, like the Mandarin and White Mandarin and Wood Ducks. I love these little guys there so beautiful & full of color.
I'm only looking on getting a pair or should I get a trio of each breed.

I'm thing on starting to build the aviary /run and nesting boxing boxes now this Fall ,so come early March /April 2010 I'll be ready for some young pairs. I've been doing lots of research on careing/feeding and housing these little guys.

My 1st. question ;is this ,I live Berkley Mass. is there any home -grown breeders around here that would have some young duckling or young adults come this spring I'm not looking for AAA show quailty ,just some good look pet ducks from the breeds stated above.

2nd. Question ;Is there any other type of small size ducks that would get along with the 3 types I stated above .

Now what about living up here in northeast Mass. where the winter get really cold and snowy do you all leave your ducks out all year long or do you build a small insulated coop within there run ,like I have for my Chickens 12' L x12'W x 7' H (coop), and for my Turkeys I have two 4' L x 3'W X 2 and 1/2' H coops inside there run ,but seem to stay -n- sleep out on top of the coops roof all year long come rain or shine or even cold & snow .

Any input or infor. on keeping and breeding from other northern easters would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks Alan

Well.... as for the how many question... If ou get the true duck bug two or three wont cut it
lau.gif
Id start out with a trio though so your drake doesnt overbreed the females.

I live in PA and had my Mandarins outside. It would be snowing amd the pond would be half frozen and they would swim around. The Wood duck is also native to my area and they do the same. I think just a reg pen would be fine. Here is the breeder I am getting my new Mandarins and White Mandarins from, was going to get wood ducks, but we need permits and them to come out and inspect the pens and all that good stuff. So hubby decided No wood ducks.

http://www.mallardlanefarms.com/

Thanks for the web site, I'll keep in my fav.'s for when I ready to order, but I really would like to fine a local seller close to meso I can see there stock an then order /buy some it's nice to see what ur' getting first.
but thanks again ,
I'm really thinking about getting at lease a few trio's of different breeds but not more then 10 ducks, I started out with a dozen chickens
cool.png
and now I have well over 50
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png
but I'm down sizing this fall/winter way to many eggs a day close to 28 to 36 aday
roll.png
and my turkeys well it started with a few;) then became 24 last spring/fall but now I'm down to 8 LOL:lol:

thanks again for the infor.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom