Starting to get eggs from new girls.

kklowell

Songster
Mar 2, 2018
Bridgton, Maine
I bought 12 chicks the first of May. They are several differing breeds (Leghorn, Brahma, Buff Orpington, Silver-Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer) with two of each breed, except for the Welsummers, I bought four of them. Last week my wife found a very small white egg in the coop where the older birds lay. We thought it might be from one of the new birds, because later in the day we let everybody out to mingle so there is some visiting of coops going on. Then this week she found a small, but much bigger, second new white egg in the young girl's coop, so we know one of the two leghorns has started. Today my wife found a small brown egg in the young girl's coop, so we know another bird has started. I think it's one of the Welsummers because two of them will instantly squat when I put my hand over them (and one of them was mounted by Henry the rooster over a week ago.) There are no freckles on this brown egg, so though I expected them, should I assume it's the Welsummer and the spots will come later?

Well, the egg is easy, the girls are in the dark right now though. The new egg is the small one on the left.

Attachments

• eggs.jpg
    eggs.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom