Starting to get noisy at 4-5am

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Our hens are normally very quiet at 4-5am when I get up to feed them and it's usually the ducks making the noise. Usually due to their quietness, I count everyone up to make sure nobody is dead because of how anxious I get. Now for the past couple days, they're starting to cluck inside their coop before I let them out. I normally have to deal with the 2 female ducks making noise in the coop at this time but now it's the hens.
As soon as I let them out and feed them, they shut up.
They're not really loud but anyone with a window open can still hear them and I'd rather not have to deal with animal control for noise. The only 2 who are quiet at this time are Colonel(drake) and Sergeant Hei Hei(cockerel). They just stand there looking dumbfounded by their females making noise.

It normally takes me about 10-15 minutes to get out there and they're making noise the whole time. Even though my dad is awake at this time getting ready for work, he can't really feed them for me because he not only has to put stuff together for work, but he also has to let the dogs out and feed them.

Any solution to keeping them quiet/quieter during this time of the morning??

They're not really loud but anyone with a window open can still hear them and I'd rather not have to deal with animal control for noise.
Are they that loud....or are chickens not allowed in your area?

Any solution to keeping them quiet/quieter during this time of the morning??
There's really only one way for sure.

Is coop crowding an issue?
Auto door a possibility?

My friend is up at 5am and turns on the kitchen light to make her coffee. This little window of light wakes up the coop and it gets everyone excited that -maybe- she'll step out and toss treats as she occasionally does before going to work.

The trigger at our house is letting the dogs out at 6:30am. They're smart creatures who learn to expect a certain pattern, and your dad being up and about with the dogs might be enough to get them up as well.

My friend managed to mitigate her early birds by covering the window facing side with a tarp so the birds were none the wiser. I let my dogs out closer to 7 now. It'll take a bit, but they can be "trained" to get jazzed at a later/more respectable hour.

Back
Top Bottom