Starting to keep ducks

@blueberrysilky Ducks just like other poultry need a safe coop or house for night time they are on the top of the menu for all predators. Having a secure fenced in yard or pasture goes a long way in protecting them during the day from wild predators and also stray dogs. As far as a pond well they are very nice if you happen to have one on your property but most of us don't so we use kiddy pools, I have geese too and they don't mind at all having a large kiddy pool to play in. It is more work than a natural pond as far as cleaning them but if you want ducks don't let the fact you don't have a in ground pond keep you from getting them.

Ok how much room is needed for each duck for there to still be grass in an enclosure? I don't like the look of mud in a pen, I was planning on burying a big koi pond from lowes and putting dirt and plants in the bottom. All I would have is a wood duck or mallard pair. Of course I would have a filter in the pond too

Last edited:
Ok how much room is needed for each duck for there to still be grass in an enclosure? I don't like the look of mud in a pen, I was planning on burying a big koi pond from lowes and putting dirt and plants in the bottom. All I would have is a wood duck or mallard pair. Of course I would have a filter in the pond too
If you have a wood duck or Mallard pair your going to either have to have them pinioned before you get them or clip their wings or build an enclosed aviary because they will fly. Since you want ornamental you'd be better off going to the ornamental thread down below the duck thread.

yes you will probably want an enclosed aviary for them. Also a great way to keep mud and the gross look of a dirty pen from plaguing your eyes is to plant some safe and beautiful plants in the aviary or enclosure with them. The plants will help keep the ducks busy as the hide and play in them and they can help absorb some of the water so it doesnt get too muddy.

Do keep in mind that you will need to feed the ducks no matter where they go.

Ducks need...

1. A coup--- if cold, wintery temperatures, you may need a heat lamp and/or insulation.

2. Water! You can use basically anything: A pond, plastic kiddy pool, bathtub... They need water at all times. Ducks don't have a special eye-cleaning liquid in their eyelids that we do, so
they need access to water so they can do a full head dunk.

3. Duck/Poultry feed--- You can ask a local pet or farm equipment store about duck feed, and chicken feed is so similar to it that sometimes you can use that instead.

4. You should have 2 or more ducks. The more the safer and less vulnerable they feel, as they are community birds.

Tip: I would suggest not using a plastic kiddy pool, as you have to empty them and add more and they can easily break. If you don't have a pond, and you are thinking of a sturdy, permanent swimming space... You can get an old, free bathtub that's fairly large, get a plug, and fill it with water. Instead of having to dump it like a kiddy pool, you can drain the water out whenever you want.

So, yes, they need a coup and a source of water.

Hope this helped!

Rubber stock tanks with a drain seem a great idea, I have a smaller oval 15 gallon one that is very easy to dump and fill but I posted about a larger 110 gal. Rubber stock tank with a built in drain that I plan to get eventually. I've seen other people with stock tanks either rubber or plastic and even galvanized that they installed drains in to clean and you can even run a hose to it and out to your garden or some use pvc pipes that drain out to the garden. Just another option.
1f609.png

Back
Top Bottom