Starting two batches on two days in one incubator?

Fredster

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Alabama
I've got a situation on my hands here. I ordered eggs from two people who live about 30 miles from each other, and the post office managed to screw it up. I got one batch of eggs today, but not the other. I'm hoping they'll come tomorrow, but I don't know. The USPS site doesn't have any tracking info beyond Monday.

Because I hate letting eggs just sit there and get older, I want to set the ones I got today tonight. Then, if the others come tomorrow morning, they'll only be going in about 16 hours later. These eggs were wicked expensive and I want to get as many chicks as I can out of the hatch.

Anyone ever started two batches of eggs on two different days in one incubator? How did it go?

I have several different hatch dates in my 2 bators. but i also have a 3rd that i use as a hatcher. i have something hatching each week and sometimes, 2 hatches due in a week. just takes some juggling around and making sure what you have going where and when.

Quote:
I have a Hovabator Genesis. My biggest concern was with the end, where I raise up the humidity and stop the turner.

That close together shouldn't be a problem. You get into trouble when you stagger them by a week. I documented a situation like that under a topic called "abused eggs" (or something like that)

From my understanding the purpose for the increased humidity is to keep the chick lubricated so it turns easily durring the "zip" stage. Although higher humidity too early can drown a chick, I don't think 24 hours difference will hurt.

Back
Top Bottom