Starting with half or whole?

redmike2018

Songster
5 Years
Sep 6, 2018
Greenville SC
Coop is currently in work. Sometime in the fall (I think) I had planned to order my chicks. Was thinking about 15 mixed breed, egg layers, day old chicks. During a conversation with an "Old Time Chicken Farmer": he suggested to get half the flock and then at a point in the future get the other half. He reasoning was that you only had half your flock going through their phases of life not the whole flock.

Coop is currently in work. Sometime in the fall (I think) I had planned to order my chicks. Was thinking about 15 mixed breed, egg layers, day old chicks. During a conversation with an "Old Time Chicken Farmer": he suggested to get half the flock and then at a point in the future get the other half. He reasoning was that you only had half your flock going through their phases of life not the whole flock.
Yep, get half the numbers of birds your coop can hold now.
Then next year get the other half so you'll have layers the second winter.

Welcome to BYC 🙋
I can see his point, if your goal is to have continued egg production. Cause pullets will lay in the winter, takes about 4 to 6 months depending on breed and your timing in the year, the older hens usually will slow down a bit. But if that's not your goal your way sounds good also.

Back
Top Bottom