Starting...

hilari221

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
The beginning of our run. I think 5 or 6 chickens should be happy with the size??? Trying to decide if we should put wire on the bottom to make it fort Knox. Opinions???

5etazunu.jpg

Bigger is always better. :D But I would put an apron of wire around the sides , you know....burry it a bit all the way around instead of a wire bottom. How deep you need to bury it depends on the predators in your area.

The chickens really like scratching in the dirt for bugs and taking dust bathes in the dirt, I would hate to deprive them.

Bigger is always better. :D But I would put an apron of wire around the sides , you know....burry it a bit all the way around instead of a wire bottom. How deep you need to bury it depends on the predators in your area.

The chickens really like scratching in the dirt for bugs and taking dust bathes in the dirt, I would hate to deprive them.

Arg! I do not know why the computer double posted.... :rolleyes: And i Can't figure out how to delete!

Last edited:
We are digging down, wiring the bottom, but the wire will come out on all sides, then covered back up with dirt both on the outside and inside. We also will be putting heavy rocks/bolders around the outside over were the wire comes out past the frame as well. Our back wall of the run is going to be solid wood, but we will be wiring up the inside of the wood part up in case anything tries to gnaw through the wood, as well. And it is also being built inside our 10x6x30 extra heavy duty dog kennel, for extra protection. You can never be to safe, esp. since we live right on the edge of the woods. I don't want anything to ever get in and hurt or kill my babies!

Back
Top Bottom