1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starved Chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CarolB865, Jun 10, 2016.

1. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    I just brought this chick home yesterday, supposed to be about 4 weeks old and an Ameraucana from a local breeder on Craigslist.

Obviously the chick had not been handled much as it was terrified of me at first. Once it realized I wasn't going to hurt her, she settled down. I picked her up, flipped her over on her back and saw her breast bone prominently sticking out. I'm assuming she was starving? I honestly don't know but she's separated with her 2 other chicks that I bought with her with plenty of access to feed, water and a heat lamp at night.

My question is, in seeing the picture's I included, have I assumed correctly? If not, what may be wrong and what more can I do for this poor thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

she is skinny for her age, you can feed her some cooked egg, and make sure she is eating and drinking, and that her poop looks normal

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  3. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

if she is acting normal that it's probably just that she is skinny and not sick

4. CarolB865

CarolB865 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Knoxville, TN
    She's acting normal other than extremely skittish and her poops look normal as well. I'm thinking this is akin to raising kids, discussing their poops! I'll try scrambling an egg for her to see what she thinks!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  5. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Because you don't know about coccidia and internal/external parasites I would TX for coccidia and deworm. Stress of being moved and underfed could really wreck havoc on immune system. Glad you rescued the poor baby.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I feed Sonny boy cereal cooked to my chicks with corn plus the regular chick starter.
    I would not worry about worms in the chick.
    Give them all a couple of days of the cooked cereal, Grit, and regular starter food. You will see it fill out .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by