State Fair Question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by punk-a-doodle, Aug 16, 2011.

1. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I'll be going to my first state fair this year. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was common to have animals for sale at state fairs, and how one goes about finding animals for sale? They have shows and schedules posted for livestock, 4H, rabbits, goats, pigs, horses, cows, pigeons, and sheep. Are any of the people involved in those likely to be selling animals? Would it be rude to ask people who are involved in showing as they are probably busy preparing their animals for showing? Thanks, totally clueless about this. X)

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    I personally don't condone selling animals at the actual event, as that encourages impulse buying by people who aren't prepared to keep livestock.
    However, the fair is an excellent place to network and meet people who are working with breeds you are interested in. Collect phone numbers, and then make your contacts after the fair when you have time to discuss the merits of various animals they may have available.

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Here in Missouri, when you go through the livestock barns a few of the animals will be for sale. Every person that has animals there usually has a table with info about their operation, business cards, etc. The owners are usually hanging around the barns. If you find things that interest you, talk to the owners, collect names, numbers, email addresses etc. Maybe take a small notebook with you and write it all down.

Most people enjoy talking about their animals. I wouldn't just start out with "How much would it take to buy one of those...?" [​IMG] You should ask them how they got started, how many they have, etc. And then work your way into if they are selling any or are just raising for their own personal use.

4. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful! I'm mainly keeping my eye open for a rabbit, but another pigeon wouldn't go amiss. [​IMG]

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    They have sale cages here at the Iowa State Fair. Somehow it is usually other people showing buying the stuff for sale. My daughter called yesterday from the fair and asked if I would have been mad if she bought a pigeon for me to keep. (She is 21 ) She fell in love with owl pigeons. It was a pretty bird - she sent me a picture, but I can't have anymore animals in the city. Plus - what does one do with pigeons?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Generally there are market classes for some species, and the animals earning championships in these are auctioned; often for huge $$$$. AFTER judging, birds may be allowed to be sold, but typically may not be picked up until that species goes off exhibit. So, this means that the purchaser will have to return to the fair to actually purchase and take the bird home. Pretty much eliminates impulse buys (except by other exhibitors (chicken math)).

7. punk-a-doodle

Apr 15, 2011
    The German owls? They are cute, very plucky. XD We live in the city, but have two house pigeons. A ringneck dove and a (hand-raised by us) oriental frill. The frill is soooooooooo dumb. Like, he will perch or fly just fine until he realizes what he is doing. Then he falls off. He has a ton of character. We even shower with them, which the frill always loves, but the ringneck only sometimes enjoys. The ringneck makes beautiful calls....and the frill amuses us with his less than pretty noises.

[​IMG]

Oof, I'll stay away from the auctions then and try to talk more one on one with people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by