State fair

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RockyToggRanch, Aug 29, 2008.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I went to the NYS fair today for the first time in 19 years. (I went into labor for my youngest child there that day, 19 yrs ago) but anyway... I was soo looking forward to seeing all the different breeds of chickens. I was disappointed that it seemed to be a lot of the same breeds and nothing was really labeled, so unless you're an expert, you have no idea what's what.

The crowing from hundreds of roosters at the same time..FABULOUS! I loved that part.

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That stinks. I went to the Florida State Fair this year and I was very impressed. NY should get their act together, LOL

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I was a bit annoyed with the no label thing at our tiny fair, but amused myself with pretending that I knew what they all were... [​IMG]

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I'll be interested to see how things are done at our county fair this year. There is usually around 1.3 million people going through our fair each year so it is, I think, the largest county fair in North America. I've never paid much attention to the poultry before (though I always spend lots of time with the goats!). Hope they have lots of poultry for me to see!

5. candyd

candyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Corinth, NY
    Our little fair was very good about labeling the chickens, guinea hens, geese ect. You never have to wonder. I see though this year there were alot more bantams then I have ever noticed. I would say 80% of them were bantams.

6. Anne

Anne Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2007
    Bellingham, WA
    Our local fair is totally podunk, but they do take care to make sure there is a card on each cage stating the breed, variety, and sex of the bird.

I love hearing all the roosters crowing, too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by