1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Stealing from rabbits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kneedles, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Kneedles

Kneedles Chirping

Jul 22, 2014
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Whenever I feed my three rabbits, my sole hen likes to go to their food bowl and steal food from them. I do not think that they mind it much, but from what I can tell, she sees herself as being dominant to them. She apparently bosses them around sometimes, but I do not think that they are in danger of having their eyes pecked out.
    Should I be allowing this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kittydoc

kittydoc Songster

Apr 18, 2012
    Near Indianapolis
    It's tough to have a solo chicken. They are social animals. She probably thinks of the rabbits are really funny looking chickens, and she is probably acting in a dominant fashion. As long as she isn't harming the rabbits, I wouldn't change a thing. The hen is GORGEOUS because she hasn't had any other chickens to mess with her! If you put her by herself, I think she would be lonely. The rabbits are unlikely to be able to harm her unless they catch her off guard and give her a stout kick, but as long as everybody is playing nicely, my vote is to leave everything as it is now. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: