Steel Kennel for Run

ChickenMama143

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2015
Jacksonvile, FL
We live in the "city" and our main predators are cats and dogs. We are thinking of getting a steel/chain link kennel for a run and reinforcing it with 1/4 hardware cloth (already ordered) and pavers/bricks. We have aviary netting for the top and will most likely add a cover or partial roof for shade/rain protection. We have a small coop that is on it's way out so my husband may build them something simple to replace it soon, he's not super handy though. Any suggestions as to where to get one, we can only afford $200 - 300 for the kennel alone. We rent, which is our other reason for not building a run ourselves, the kennel seems more portable. TIA, please be kind - constructive criticism is welcome.

Last edited:
How far are you into the city for ours we just have the chain link kennel and thats it we didn't add any hardware cloth or anything extra, we are getting a new chicken coop as our other degraded very quickly as a result of the rain, when we put that in we are going to put a steel roof on at the same time.

I had a friend who gave me the kennel that I use for ducks for $25 because he no longer had dogs. A 10x10 is usually about $200, but they're a whole lot cheaper secondhand. I would start at craigslist and see if anyone has a used one for sale. Reinforcing it with hardware cloth is a good idea, especially if you happen to have bantams. Some of mine can fit through chain link, as can some cats. Raccoons have adapted well to urban environments too, so it's a good call to be careful :) If you have money left over, a cover kit for a 10x10 kennel is usually about $100 and makes providing shelter much less of a pain

How far are you into the city for ours we just have the chain link kennel and thats it we didn't add any hardware cloth or anything extra, we are getting a new chicken coop as our other degraded very quickly as a result of the rain, when we put that in we are going to put a steel roof on at the same time.
We live on the North side of Jacksonville, near a large shopping center and close to the airport. There is a less commercial/rural area that people keep livestock close to us.

I did look on Craigslist and didn't find much. The Craigslist here sucks, everything is crappy and overpriced. What I did find was too big, overrun with grass and weeds and would be difficult for us to transport. I'd rather just pay the $100 more and get something new in the box or in panels that we can easily load in my SUV and assemble.

Back
Top Bottom