Stepped on 6 week old chick

kelise24

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
My son stepped on a 6 week old chick by accident. She just lays in our hands now. She willflap her wings, but will not use her legs at all. When you put her down, her legs lay behind her and don't move. Any advice? We are totally new to this. My son is devastated!!

I can tell you that the chances of her making it are .01%. But, if only for your son's sake you might try to pull her through it. A suggestion when around chicks is to shuffle around. Then they can't get under your feet.

I am all for giving all living things a fighting chance, but in this case, due to the mechanism and trauma of the injury, I agree with SonflowerChick that you should put her down. If she can't move her back legs at all, she is suffering and will never lead a normal life. If this had happened to her in the wild, she would slowly. I totally understand that your son is devasted, but making him feel better isn't worth the suffering of that poor little chick. :( I think a much better lesson would be to explain that he has to be extra careful around fragile little things, and that sometimes the most compassionate thing to do is help them into the next life. Your son can understand what's going on, the injured bird can't - she just knows she hurts and can't move anymore.

I have seen chicks get over it so I believe that you should give it a few days. Try to exercise it's legs and work it.

I have seen chicks get over it so I believe that you should give it a few days. Try to exercise it's legs and work it.
Happened to one of our little sebright bantams last year. My son wasnt watching and stepped on him. Took a couple days but he came back around. He is 100% now. So glad because my son was SO upset.

Back
Top Bottom