Stepped on Chicken's Foot

whatsthequestion

Songster
May 25, 2020
West Virginia
My young chickens ran from behind me and through my legs and I inadvertently stepped on an 11-week old chick's foot. šŸ˜„ It was limping and didnt want to put weight on it. I checked it for signs of breakage. I could gently bend it's toes. Nothing immediately appeared out of place. Without an xray I can't be completely sure. It did not seem significantly swollen a few hours later although it was still not putting weight on it. I had to leave for work. Tonight my husband checked and it had made it's way up the walkway into the coop. I will examine it again in the morning.
A: If it's still limping but not swollen should I be concerned?
B: If it is swollen then confinement indoors with occasional ice pack and 25 mg of baby aspirin per pound for a few days? I'm guessing probably 1/4 twice a day.

I'm thinking of rubbing it down a few times a day with Penetrex. It contains Arnica, glucosamine, and boswellia serrata, none of which is harmful to chickens. It has done wonders for our own injuries. Thoughts?

It did not seem significantly swollen a few hours later although it was still not putting weight on it. I had to leave for work. Tonight my husband checked and it had made it's way up the walkway into the coop.

I think I would see how she is tomorrow. If it didn't swell up and she went into the coop with the others leave her alone.

Personally I would not apply any type of ointment unless the foot/leg is really swollen or the skin is broken.
Likely she doesn't need aspirin either.

If there's a change and you see swelling, etc. then try to get some photos.

Back
Top Bottom