Sterile Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by audiomilk, Jan 6, 2013.

1. audiomilk

audiomilk Chillin' With My Peeps

My wife wants a rooster, but just have hens to have eggs for eating. Can you have a rooster without having fertile eggs. We're obviously new to chickens. We haven't gotten any yet, we're working on it though.

2. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Yes they are called capons.

1 person likes this.
  3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

There's also nothing wrong with eating fertile eggs, they won't develop without incubation.

Capons won't do the flock protection quite as aggressively as an intact rooster would. And if caponized before maturity, he is not guaranteed to crow (and I assume you want the rooster for the crowing).

1 person likes this.
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I suspect you may want a rooster for the rooster benefits of peace in the flock, beauty, etc, but don't want chicks? The eggs are entirely edible.

First, the speck of fertility on the surface of an egg is so teeny, tiny that it is almost impossible to detect with the naked eye. Further, many "natural" cage free eggs sold at the nicer markets are fertile. People buy eggs and eat them all the time. Some folks just have a mental block some kind, but honestly? When we eat an egg, we're eating an EGG! The ovum from the ovaries of the chicken!!! That speck of fertility is not an issue. LOL

Few hatchery stock birds ever go broody so unless you hatch the eggs in an incubator, you're not likely to have chicks. Hope I didn't go too far afield.

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenGirl 19

ChickenGirl 19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2012
    BC, Canada
    Capons, from what I've read, don't act like roosters. Fertile eggs are just like normal eggs, don't worry.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    You've probably eaten fertile eggs on and off from the store. Look around on other threads on folks fearing fertile eggs, there's lots of info on how not to get a suprise.

7. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    As long as you collect eggs daily/every other day or so the fertile egg have no chance to develop if you refridgerate them. As stated above you would likely be unaware if you were eating a fertile or infertile egg without extremely close inspection. They don't taste any different.

8. lindisfarne

lindisfarne Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2012
    Walton on the Naze, UK
    hey there[​IMG]
    just so you know, you don't need a rooster if its just eggs you want!

9. audiomilk

audiomilk Chillin' With My Peeps

We know, but the wife wants a rooster. Happy wife = happy life

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by