Sterilizing my coop, what to use?

max13077

Songster
12 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Fingerlakes Upstate, NY
I'm moving my older girls into a new smaller house this weekend because I have a whole bunch of chicks coming in a few weeks. I really want to clean and sterilize the coop to make it disease free for the chicks. I'm going to shovel, sweep, and vacuum the coop out really well, then spray it down with something to try and kill whatever beasties are left. What should I use? Bleach solution? Vinegar?

Bleach water is ok, just make sure its not too strong and completely dry before you put them in.

There is also some stuff called Oxine that is supposed to be really good, and not harmful to the birds. You can mix it with water and spray everything down really good. If I'm not mistaken, you can even put it directly in their drinking water.

Here is some good information on Oxine...
http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleach solution. I don't remember the strength, but air it out well.

Are you treating for mites? The bleach will probably get them, but it would be a good time to oil the underside of their roost and try hard to get the bleach well into any cracks. The original mites will probably be gone but I don't remember how long it takes the eggs to hatch.

I know you are doing a wise thing cleaning like this. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom