Sticky situation

CluckNorris4eva

Chirping
May 5, 2023
So I have 6 hens and a rooster I need to combine them into one flock but the four hens won’t accept the rooster or the two hens. The rooster has already been in one fight and has sustained an injury to under the eye. The rooster is gentle as can be but I don’t want to have him killed what should I do? Btw I have one Plymouth Rock, three black australorps(one old two new) two isa brown and one buff Orpington(rooster) the new flock is about 16 weeks old

Pull the old ones out of the coop/run. Lock the new birds into the coop/run. Feed along the fence. This lets the new birds do some exploring and get some territorial rights without being harrassed. Put them where you had them at night, let the old girls back in. Do this three days, then very close to dark, let the old ones in and see what happens.

A lot depends on the size of your set up, you have basically doubled the size of your flock. A lot of people think they have enough room, when they really don't. For 7 birds, you need something that is about 6 feet by 5 feet. So a nice shed.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom