Stiff legged!

Brooster's_mom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
One of my hens (White Rock cross) has a funny gait! She started a "goose step" walk with her left leg only. She walks like she can't bend it. She hopped ALOT last week, but she manages to keep away from the roo, so I am not REALLY worried, but it is concerning. She has no problem with being picked up or me feeling the leg from stem to stern, so i am perplexed. Should I limit her "exercize" or just let it go but stay watchful. (BTW, we call her Limpy now:D) Any suggestions would be appreciated. Checked for bumble foot and other common ailments, no signs of injury. Could it have been the weight of the roo breeding her?

No, I checked her other leg and all seemed pretty much the same (except for the poo on the one!)
tongue.png
They both were the same temp, warm but not hot.

Last edited:
I was wondering if it is possible that she has some type of "pokey" thing in her foot? We have "sand burrs" in our yard and I know when I get one stuck in my bare foot or on my hand, it feels like I am being stuck with a needle! IT HURTS! So, is it possible that she has one of the "spikes" or "stickers" in her foot that I can't see or feel, but is still irritating her enough to make her walk funny?

Yes that is possible....keep watch on her to make sure something else doesn't develop.

I know of the things your speaking of and your right those dang things hurt like hell
smile.png

She could have a strain/sprain from the rooster, I'd keep her isolated so she can heal...if she is having small improvement you notice its likely a sprain..check the foot for signs of a puncture, wash it off.and press on the bottom of the foot, gently, and see if you can feel anything..

Back
Top Bottom