Still an Issue and I’m at a Loss

Kimmyk80

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
So my Sapphire Gem pullet still isn’t feeling well. She is approx 20 weeks old and, until 3 or 4 weeks ago, was spry and healthy.
So here’s the info:
My flock of 28 free range on my 1 acre, and I feed them layer pellets from Rural King. About 4 weeks ago, I noticed that my Sapphire Gem was hanging around in the coop a lot and hopping back and forth from nesting box to nesting box. Her comb had really reddened, so I just knew she was getting g ready to lay. Fast forward a week and her behaviors stayed the same, but still no egg. That weekend my family took a long weekend trip so I asked my aunt to take care of my chickens. I checked in with her each day and things were fine. On the 3rd day of our trip, she texted me and said I think you have a hen going broody because she hasn’t been wanting to come out of the coop. I asked her which one and she said the little blue one (she seems more silver to me😉). I told her she had never laid an egg, so I was worried something was wrong. She said her comb was pale and she just wanted to lay in the corner of the coop. Later that evening when I got home, I went in the coop and there she laid back in the corner of the coop. Her eyes were closed, and her comb was very pale. I picked her up and the feathers around her vent were wet and dirty and she had clearly lost weight. So I brought her in and made her some scrambled eggs, which she picked around at, but didn’t actually eat much of. While she was inside, she pooped and it was nothing but water. I checked her for any signs of egg binding, but didn’t find anything. No signs of worms, no bloody poop, and crop felt normal. Now here it is 4 weeks later and still the same issues. She is lethargic and weak, she pecks around at food, but only actually eats very little, and just lays down all day long. She does get up and graze a little in the evening, but never scratches around. She is very, very thin- her breast bone is clearly visible. I have checked for everything I can think of that might be wrong with her. Still no signs of worms, poop is still watery, but does have some green color and thickness to it, no bloody poop, crop still feels normal, and the rest of my flock is completely healthy. I don’t have a chicken vet near me, and only one of my local vets is even willing to treat chickens, but an appt is 3-4 weeks out. Does anyone have any ideas? The poor girl is going to starve to death. I am still feeding her eggs, wet layer food, and corn, but she just doesn’t eat enough of it. I know I’m going to lose her if I can’t figure something out:-(

She is lethargic and weak, she pecks around at food, but only actually eats very little, and just lays down all day long.
She is very, very thin- her breast bone is clearly visible. I have checked for everything I can think of that might be wrong with her. Still no signs of worms, poop is still watery, but does have some green color and thickness to it, no bloody poop, crop still feels normal
I'm sorry she's not feeling well.
Can you post some photos of your pullet and her poop?

Crop feels "normal" - when are you checking her crop?

Have you felt of her abdomen between her legs below the vent - any swelling/bloat or fluid?

Sometimes a bird can have reproductive issues early on, so that's something to consider.
Coccidiosis and worms would be something else to think about treating her for. Crop should be empty/flat in the morning and I would also look her over for lice/mites since she's laying around all the time.

How about her calcium intake? Is there any chance she’s laid soft shelled eggs that haven’t been found? Could that have been what had happened when you found her vent feathers wet and dirty?
I was advised that Vitamin B complex is a good boost for sick chickens (which I used with an unrelated sick chick) and homemade electrolyte water.

Have you felt of her abdomen between her legs below the vent - any swelling/bloat or fluid?

Sometimes a bird can have reproductive issues early on, so that's something to consider.
Coccidiosis and worms would be something else to think about treating her for. Crop should be empty/flat in the morning and I would also look her over for lice/mites since she's laying around all the time.
I don’t have a poop pic as of now, but here are some pics of her. I have her inside because she is so weak. I have been giving her egg and honey via syringe to see if I can get some of her energy back. Her abdomen feels fine and I check her crop in the morning. I haven’t seen any worms in her poop. Will it hurt to treat her for both cocci and worms even if she doesn’t necessarily have them?
2CB48956-99FD-465E-A339-F022BEB61CBC.jpeg
2CB48956-99FD-465E-A339-F022BEB61CBC.jpeg

Attachments

• 57606F97-D6A5-422D-9A30-D1377061996B.jpeg
    57606F97-D6A5-422D-9A30-D1377061996B.jpeg
    306.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 86957ECE-0F77-4336-B0DC-1E3E22A77475.jpeg
    86957ECE-0F77-4336-B0DC-1E3E22A77475.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 5
How about her calcium intake? Is there any chance she’s laid soft shelled eggs that haven’t been found? Could that have been what had happened when you found her vent feathers wet and dirty?
I was advised that Vitamin B complex is a good boost for sick chickens (which I used with an unrelated sick chick) and homemade electrolyte water.
I don’t have any vitamin B complex, but I do have some B12 supplement for humans.

I did check her for lice again and found 1 huge one, so I’m assuming she has more. Any ideas on how to get her iron levels back up? I’m assuming that’s why her comb and skin are so pale.

I did check her for lice again and found 1 huge one, so I’m assuming she has more. Any ideas on how to get her iron levels back up? I’m assuming that’s why her comb and skin are so pale.
I don’t have any vitamin B complex, but I do have some B12 supplement for humans.
B12 is not the same thing as B-Complex. I would get some B-Complex.

1 huge lice on her? Treat her with a Permethrin poultry dust or spray. Likely lice is no the cause of her illness unless she is just infested.

Getting a fecal float to check for worm and coccidia levels would be good - she does not look well at all in the photos.

1594573576499.png

B12 is not the same thing as B-Complex. I would get some B-Complex.

1 huge lice on her? Treat her with a Permethrin poultry dust or spray. Likely lice is no the cause of her illness unless she is just infested.

Getting a fecal float to check for worm and coccidia levels would be good - she does not look well at all in the photos.

View attachment 2240035
I put her in a warm bath and scrubbed her with Dawn. I left the lather on for 6 or 7 minutes, and dead red mites were all over her! I would say hundreds of them, maybe more. They were like an orange/red color. I syringe fed her some more of the egg/honey mixture and brought her back outside to dry off in the warm sun. I don’t have any more treatment powder, but my mom has some wood ash that I am going to dust her with when she dries off. Hopefully that will help until I can get some dust. Could the mites have caused a slow decline in her? This issue has been going on for 4 weeks, so it must not be something acute or she would already have died, wouldn’t she?

I put her in a warm bath and scrubbed her with Dawn. I left the lather on for 6 or 7 minutes, and dead red mites were all over her! I would say hundreds of them, maybe more. They were like an orange/red color. I syringe fed her some more of the egg/honey mixture and brought her back outside to dry off in the warm sun. I don’t have any more treatment powder, but my mom has some wood ash that I am going to dust her with when she dries off. Hopefully that will help until I can get some dust. Could the mites have caused a slow decline in her? This issue has been going on for 4 weeks, so it must not be something acute or she would already have died, wouldn’t she?
If she's infested with Red Mites, then that could make her weak, but she most likely has something else going on - she's 20 weeks old so *should* have been dust bathing/active which *should* have helped reduce the parasite load - but she's been ill for what 3-4 weeks?

I would get the B-Complex or some poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell to give to her. You can pick up some poultry cell when you go to the feed store to get the Permethrin spray/dust.

Will she not eat feed on her own? I would make her a wet mash of feed - if you have chick starter that would be good, if not then use layer feed.

Since she's infested, then I would treat all the other birds and their housing too.

If she's infested with Red Mites, then that could make her weak, but she most likely has something else going on - she's 20 weeks old so *should* have been dust bathing/active which *should* have helped reduce the parasite load - but she's been ill for what 3-4 weeks?

I would get the B-Complex or some poultry vitamins like Poultry Cell to give to her. You can pick up some poultry cell when you go to the feed store to get the Permethrin spray/dust.

Will she not eat feed on her own? I would make her a wet mash of feed - if you have chick starter that would be good, if not then use layer feed.

Since she's infested, then I would treat all the other birds and their housing too.
I just searched the type of mite and it actually looks like poultry lice rather than mites.

Back
Top Bottom