Still can't tell!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop de Grille, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have read that Silver Laced Wyandottes are easy to sex if they are under two weeks old. My babies are 11 days old and I just can't seem to figure it out! Can anyone tell me if these are boys or girls? Am I looking at one girl and three boys?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    it is way too early to tell thats why..lol try posting again when they are about 6-8 weeks old....

3. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I think you are right.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Wyandottes are one of the more difficult to tell as far as gender goes. My GLW didn't start laying until 9 months of age, I was wondering if she was just a quiet rooster.lol

Cute babies. I wish I would of gotten a silver laced one too.

5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    They are cute! I am also getting 8 Buff Orpingtons on Christmas, is there a way to sex them so I don't wind up with a dozen roo's?

6. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Quote:No way to sex buff orps until it is way, way too late... unless you get them from a hatchery pre-sexed. I think they're one of the hardest to sex. I just can't tell the difference until the roosters crow or grow in their full saddle/hackle/tail feathers.

7. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:x2

8. greensandjeans

greensandjeans Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    I can only speak from experience with my one chick. Here's how my hen who is a SLW looked at about 2+ weeks.
    [​IMG]
    From that I would guess that the first photo of yours is a hen and that the others are slower feathering in are boys. But like other say, post again in a few weeks.

9. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Way too early [​IMG] , sit back, relax and watch them grow [​IMG] Wyandottes are a hard breed to tell-unless you've done it alot [​IMG] Wait til you start getting some feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by