Still Hatching...

PeepsCA

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 28, 2011
BFE, CA
I haven't posted many pics of my hatches lately, but here's another adorable hatch I just had to show off
big_smile.png
And yet again a few more keepers (2 Buffs, a Buff Dundotte, a Pied Buff Dundotte and another Coral Blue). Very colorful hatch, with LOTS of Royal Purples which have got to be THE cutest little keets ever with their cute lil head markings, dark body stripes and white wings
love.gif

This latest batch of fuzzballs brings my hatch count total up to 710 for 2011
tongue2.gif
I have FORCED myself to stop setting eggs as of last week tho... sigh
hit.gif
(I've been at this for 8 months this year, I need a break!) I have already passed up 3 time slots that I could have set more eggs, but I didn’t. My Hens are still laying at least a dozen fertile eggs each day and it’s KILLING me not to set any of them, lol. Luckily I can give the surplus eggs to my Mom to eat, because if I keep stacking them in cartons in my egg storage area then they nag at me to set them every time I walk by (ugh).

I still have 4 incubators with full loads in them (I haven't candled them yet) which will be 3 more good sized hatches, so that will probably bring my hatch total up to somewhere around 825-850 keets for 2011 by the time it’s all said and done
ep.gif
I know some of you were cheering me on to go for 1000, but I’m completely burned out on the brooder cleaning every few days
th.gif

It has been quite the experience for me this year tho, hatching SO many different beautiful colors... every hatch has been like Christmas
celebrate.gif
I have hatched every color I was hoping for and have a really nice collection of keepers now that I need to start whittling down to a manageable number. Last year I settled down with 42 adults for breeding season, next year looks like I’ll have closer to 75-80 adults...
gig.gif

P7260079.jpg

Last edited:
They are gorgeous!
I love all the light colored ones, naturally.
The dark ones are great for the farm thing but those light ones draw me every time.

I like giving mine hay, they have a blast playing in it! Even my 2 month olds have fun with grass or hay.

Awww, I just love all of your colors. I wish I could have a set up like you do. I am definitely going to be working on getting set up for next spring though. I have learned so much from you and the others on here that I am starting to feel more confident in raising guineas.

Gawd I love those Wittle ones with the white wings.... little white shrug sweaters.....

Mine are getting big Peeps. Going up today again I will get some pix. Im the only one that Peeps has mailed keets to. Within California.... What an experience.

perchie.girl :

Gawd I love those Wittle ones with the white wings.... little white shrug sweaters.....

Mine are getting big Peeps. Going up today again I will get some pix. Im the only one that Peeps has mailed keets to. Within California.... What an experience.

You are the only one I've mailed keets to PERIOD! Everybody else has to COME GET THEIR OWN KEETS, lol
wink.png
And yes indeed, what an experience
woot.gif

Can't wait to see updated pics of everybody and how they are feathering out, hurry hurry!​

Last edited:
Quote:
You are the only one I've mailed keets to PERIOD! Everybody else has to COME GET THEIR OWN KEETS, lol
wink.png
And yes indeed, what an experience
woot.gif

Can't wait to see updated pics of everybody and how they are feathering out, hurry hurry!

OK I posted on Keets in the mail but here you go:

72852_dscn0616.jpg

They are all bunched up because I am standing in the middle of their coop. But they have twelve by 6 space all to themselves with two six foot long perches. My Water reservoir failed so I have two big water tubs one on each end for them. Its been hovering around 100 degrees here and out in Ocotillo they were expecting 115 yesterday so I expect the winds to build up from that and boost the heat up at my place about five or ten degrees. I know I have a light brown female and a couple of Royal Purple and at least one lavender..... Some of the rest have their Pearl spots mixed in with darker feathers either dark brown or dark dark grey. And the light ones some have lavender feathers but on top of those there are some creamy tan feathers with spots too. I don't handle the birds so cant get you decent individual pictures sorry. What ever color I love em all.... VBG.

Oh and the light brown one is a female so is the lavender.... The lavender is HUGE. a good shoulder higher than the rest....LOL. I have about three of those biguns.

Awwwwwwwwwwww, I see you are raisin' another brood of pterodactyls again down there in So Cal lol.

They look great, glad you are enjoyin' them
smile.png

The big Ol Lavenders might have a touch of Jumbo genetics in them... because last yr I was getting eggs from a friend that had a Jumbo Pearl male paired with a Porcelain Hen... and we both have some of their offspring in our breeding flocks this year (I have 3 Chocolate Hens, 3 Brown Hens and one Royal Purple Hen hatched from that pair in with some unrelated Royal Purple males and a Lavender male this year.. so maybe that Jumbo male is your Lavs' Grampa!). I've seen a lot of people say that their Lavendersare always smaller and less hearty than their other colors (none related to my flocks or keets they bought from me tho), this is so not the case with these guys obviously, lol.

Most of the Browns and Chocolates that I've hatched this year are mostly Hens, which I do not mind in the least
wink.png
That's way cool you're starting to ID your Hens
smile.png

Thanks for the updated pic!!! Love seein' those babies growin' up all big and perdy
love.gif

woot.gif
nice looking crew you have there perchie. Love to see the pics as they grow and change.. I heard a buckwheat today...
clap.gif
and the others are just getting voice... I have one more batch in the bator. 4 hatched today, another 6 are pipping. then I have a wait for about another week and I have 11 more to go. So far I have sold all I want to sell. Psst I think... havent seen what is hiding in those eggs yet.....

Quote:
You just hush up there lil missy, you are just as bad as I am, you just got a later start this year than I did, that's all, lololol

Back
Top Bottom