~*STILL NEED*~ hens/poullets in KY, or TN

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
Upon learning that I actually have two cockerels (
roll.png
) i will definatley be needing more hens and/or poullets. But, Im only looking for medium and large breeds! I dont have the facilities for bantams/small chickies. Im also looking to diversify my flock, so these are the breeds I have and do NOT want:

Wyandott
RIR
Sex-Link
Star
Plymouth Rock
Buff Orpington

I have a cuckoo morans cockerel, but i may be interested in hens that are a color besides cuckoo/barred.

Now, here are some breeds I am particularly interested in buying;

Araucana, Ameracauna, or EE (Really, i just want some blue egglayers!
lol.png
)
Cochin
Brahma
Langshan
Sussex

Even if you dont have any of these, please still tell me if you have something for sale!
big_smile.png

Im also particularly interested in docile breeds or individuals if any are availible....
smile.png

I am located in morgantown, and I travel Louiville (ky) and in Nashville (tn) quite often. If your far away, still tell me and maybe we can work something out.

I really need some new girls, cause' the boys are growing up fast!
fl.gif

Last edited:
I have quite a few chicks that have just hatched that are standard cochin and dutch bantam mixes. I live in south KY, about 30 miles east of Somerset. Not sure what sex they are yet, but I'm not in any hurry to get rid of them. Let me know if you are interested.
Mama is standard black cochin, daddy is dutch blue splash bantam. All the babies look like they will be blues.

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
Yeah, there were a few posts, i might be picking some up thursday but thats not enough. No one else replied to my e-mails, so im going to post a wanted ad.
hmm.png

Dear Chick Whisp, Just a word to the wise. quaratine for one month anything new you bring onto the farm. I bought 10 RIR from a breeder in Shelby County and only 4 are left. They also lived long enough to infect my whole flock of new chicks with CORYZA, all 50 of them, which didn't show up until after we took chicks off medicated feed at about 12 weeks.
Coryza is very prevalent among game birds and can be masked by the use of sulfanzides in the water. then once you get them home..."BANG"...your whole flock is contaminated. This guy just happened to raise quails, pheasants, and chukkars.
Some chickens become carriers and its hard to notice they are having a problem except the hens won't lay or have a depleted egg output.
It affects the larger and older ones the worse.
I once thought I wanted to raise chicks to go
to swap meets and such but not any more. The money, time and heartbreak we've gone through is awful. The antibiotic the chicks are on now costs $35 a bag and I'll have to have 2 to finish the dosing required then the vaccine will cost another $30 something. This is in addition to the 2 other antibiotics we tried previously and the sanitization process of the coop and the antimicrobial disinfectants we've spent money on. And the best part? I will have to cull any chick that shows any signs of this diesease for the next yeaer or so. I won't be able to sell, in allconsciousness, any of my flock or chicks for a long time.
I'm not saying you can't find healthy chicks out there but you better make sure they are healthy before introducing them to you flock or you'll be calling Dr. Anthony Pescatore at the University of Kentucky asking him,"What Happened?".
We started culling hens last night because they showed one symptom or the other. Its a heartbreaker!
Jean from Henry County

Quote:
Thanks for the warning Jean!

I had almost forgot to set up my quarantine area! :eek:

We had a HUGE scare not long ago, I thought my flock was infected with Coryza! After reading about it, im pretty sure we dont have that now; I think its something like a resp. "cold", im going to try some terramacyn here when i can get my hands on some.

Im so, so sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
My first flock died from sickness as well; i had bought them from a so called "breeder" at the KY state fair. I will probably never go to poultry swaps or auctions - i only bought three hens, but the first two died within 2 months. Luckily, the other two survived. Im still not sure what they died from. Just that has scared me away from going to them! Luckily, my current flock was very healthy when i got them from some very lovely amish farmers. They apparently got this when i introduced them in the new coop with my two baby cockerels. I think all will be well - hopefully!

I wish the best for you and your flock; hopefully you wont have to cull many more
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom